Thread: Delta DJ 20 8" jointer

Blog Entries

Delta DJ 20 8" jointer

Hi,

I'm about to pick up a DJ20. When I looked at it in person, I forgot to note where the lift points are. I plan on using an engine hoist to get it onto a flat bed trailer, then using the same hoist to get it home.

Anyone know where the lifting points are?

I wouldn't want to lift it by the tables. I would loosen the bolts that hold it to the base and run the straps between the base and jointer. Tighten up the bolts. When you are done moving it around at home then remove the straps. I would be temped to move it in 2 pieces: jointer and base. That is how they are shipped.

Blog Entries
    +1 on jointer and base/motor separately. You don't want to get it into the shop only to find you've fouled the tables.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The manual should tell you.
    Bill D.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downlo...l-EnA06586.pdf

Once stripped down, two men can lift the top (although it's still heavy). And by strip, I mean motor off, fence off, guard and it's ancillary table off and preferably the cutter head off (if the DJ20 comes off as easily as the 37-315), and finally top off the base. I recently moved a 37-315, and that's the method I used. It was heavy, but it worked. Also, try lifting the top by the base and not the tables. I think it was "okay" to lift mine by the tables because they're in a dovetail joint in the base, and it appears to not have done anything to misalign them. I'm not sure about a DJ20 and how the tables are mounted to the base. I still have my DJ15 (and will sell it once I'm finished restoring the 37-315), and it probably has the same table-mounting scheme as the DJ20. I just never looked.

The DJ 20 isn't very heavy in the base. the motor is the only real weight in the bottom. I'd take the fence off and unhook the motor but two people can easily lift the tables with the guard and cutterhead intact. If the lift was short and just up and down, I wouldn't be afraid to lift the whole thing by the tables. The base is only light sheet metal and a motor. Dave