Thread: Transporting Jet JJ6CSX Jointer in bed of pickup truck

Transporting Jet JJ6CSX Jointer in bed of pickup truck

Going to purchase one of these from a fellow woodworker this weekend.

Any reason not to transport it in the bed of my pickup truck? I know it will fit if I lay it down on its back side.

Do not lay it down. The ways are not robust enough to have that amount of leverage placed on them. It would be pretty easy to crack the casting along the way line.
    There are 4 bolts that hold the top assembly to the base. Loosen the motor, take the belt off, and pull the tables off as a unit. Lay them inverted on styrofoam and transport them that way. Taking the tables off , individually, is a little trickier than it looks because the ball cranks have to be removed first. It's easier to just pick it up as an assembly, Both tables at once.
    i have that same jointer and it's not that heavy. Mine came in a box and I put it together myself and have taken it part my self.
    Spend an extra 20 minutes on each end of the trip. You'll be glad you did.

BTW
    It's a nice jointer.
    Congrats.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-14-2017 at 2:31 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks so much for the response. It sounds like that's the way to go -- taking the tables off as a unit and putting them upside down.

Thanks again.

Another thought -- What about taking the fence off, then putting the entire unit upside down in the bed of the pickup (on a rubber mat maybe), then securing with tie downs or ratchet straps. That way the majority of the weight would be on the bottom, and it would essentially be lying on a flat surface (the beds).

Thoughts?

upside down without the fence or guard on a blanket is how I moved my Delta 8" jointer about 100 miles.
    Bill D.

When I sold my 6" jointer I removed the top from the base then bolted the top part to a couple 2 X 4s then lifted with the 2 X 4s. I recall reading you don't want to lift by the tables. Apologies if I'm being Captain Obvious.

I sold that same jointer to somebody on Craigslist.

If your truck's back windows open in the middle, then I recommend doing what we did. Stand the jointer as usual, open the window to make room for the fence mounting assembly that protrudes from the back of the machine, and insert it through the window. This way you can strap the jointer to the cab end of the bed, and the stand will sit flush and snuggly against the side of the bed. It won't budge.

I carry an old tire in my bed for moving machines. If you put the tire between the machine and the window side of the bed you can get it secured. It will give it some cushion and keep it from breaking your window.

Years ago a gent bought my old jointer. Put the machine upright in the truck bed. He had plenty of tie down points and used six ratcheting straps around the machine and it didn't budge. Two over the top and one around the frame in each direction.