Thread: Did lots of machining this weekend *w/pics*

Did lots of machining this weekend *w/pics*

Hello Everyone,

I got lots of machining done this weekend. In my never ending kitchen project, I started on 14 more doors.

Planed a lot of hard maple,

Here are what will be the panels for the doors in lots of yuppie clamps,

I really like how the DeWALT sliding table works on my Unisaw, made cutting the panels to length a snap,

With the power feeder on the router table raising the panels was quite easy. My hand fed panels were no where near as smooth as these
    panels,

One of these days I need to make a mitre saw stand with a fence to make repeated cuts. I measured each one and cut it on the Hitachi SCMS, the laser made it easy,

I really like the sliding mitre attached to the fence on the Jess'em router table. The cope cuts were safe and easy,

Here are all the parts milled,

I hope to glue the 14 doors together this week.

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Wow, now that is a lot of saw dust and a lot of maple!! Those doors are going to be great! Do you have a head ache with all that machinery running??

Corey

David,

Now that is some serious sawdust!! Great report - you are a fast worker!!

David,
    Sure hope you have good medical insurance, the amount of fine dust particals that must of been floating in the air while you utilized your planer would have been well beyond the capabilities of that dust mask.

Sorry to be negative, but

Boy now that is what I call a pile of sawdust. Looks like you had a good weekend. I hope this week of glueing doors goes well. Want to see some pictures.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oliphant
    David,
    Sure hope you have good medical insurance, the amount of fine dust particals that must of been floating in the air while you utilized your planer would have been well beyond the capabilities of that dust mask.
    What you don't see is the open garage door (16' wide) just to the left with a light breeze and a fan running in the garage.

Exposure to that type of dust on a daily basis would be a problem, but for a very short period of time several times a year I don't think will kill me. Heck, I drive too fast to worry about dust anyway .

David.

David - I like your alternate usage of your DC system.
    1. Run it in reverse
    2. Disconnect fittings
    3. Blow shavings off machine into "neat and orderly" pile.
    Nice job on the doors, can't wait to see the finished product.
    Only the Blue Roads

Plenty of mulch there ! Isn't it amazing how the shavings come flying out of the planer ?
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Hmm, you write you have the garage door open and that should more or less take care of the dust.

Do you notice the small white dots in your pictures ?
    They are actually reflections (due to the flash on the camera) from the fine dust particles floating around in the air...

Not to give you a hard time, but I think you should consider getting a serious dust control system. Try reading Bill Pentz' website and see for yourself: http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Another thing - I've just ordered a jointer/planer and the sales guy wanted to sell me a dust collector as well since he said that you'll ruin the finish on the planed boards if you don't use a dust collector.
    What would happen is that the chips and dust will be slammed very hard into the wood by the cutter and that would make you end up with small white spots on the wood if you finish it with water-based finishes.

Maybe something to consider ?

/Niels

Niels, what a stealth gloat!
    Did you get the A3-31 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo Christ
    Niels, what a stealth gloat!
    Did you get the A3-31 ?
    Timo,
    Don't want to hijack this thread, so you made me create a new thread

Look here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...829#post231829

/Niels

Man, you sure do mean a lot of machining!! I like your dust collector for the planner!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hey Dave looks like your doing a lot of fine work there.Finally a shop that looks like it is being used.Lots of sawdust.

Hey David,

I noticed that you have your General 130 on a mobile base. Is that the HTC welded frame that's specifically for the 130? If it is, how would you rate its performance and do you find that there are any shortcomings?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mills
    I noticed that you have your General 130 on a mobile base. Is that the HTC welded frame that's specifically for the 130? If it is, how would you rate its performance and do you find that there are any shortcomings?
    Yes, that is the HTC base specifically for the 130 planer. I really like it a lot. Works well, makes the planer very easy to move around.

Thanks,

David.