Thread: How do I make this joint?

How do I make this joint?

I want to make this joint where the crest rail of a chair meets the arm. I took a phone photo of a magazine page, I hope the image is clear enough for you.

I don't know what this zig zag joint is called, or the first thing about making it, so any information any of you can provide is progress.

And if there are alternative joints to do the same thing I'd for sure consider them.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 12.22.54 PM.jpg

thank you, Mark

I can't see what you mean by "zig zag" joint in the picture - sorry.

However.. we have a 1950s teak chair that has some similar looking joints - most clearly seen where the front of the arm rest is supported. In this case the armrest is carved as one piece including the vertical bit, It fits on the support, and I'm pretty sure there's a pin inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No doubt the tapered finger joint in the picture was done with matching shaper cutters. You could have one or a set made for production. For a repair or one off hand saw and chisel, or band saw/table saw with jigs to accommodate the direction change would do it. You could do a non-tapered finger joint with a dado head and table saw.

That "zig zag joint" is a finger joint-- it acts as a "board stretcher". If you have a long enough board for your crest rail, you can skip the finger joint

Or, as suggested above, you can get a finger joint set-up for your shaper or router.

I suspect a dowel joint or M&T at the leg post-to-rail junction.

Rudy,I had a hard time seeing it also. He's not talking about crest rail to stile joint. It's a finger joint in the crest rail itself.

Yes, a type of finger joint that is milled PRIOR to shaping the contours.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark, Take a look at Derek Cohen's site"in the wood shop". He made a chair that has that joint by hand and has a good write up on it. He is on the Neanderthal forum quite a bit and is very good about helping out.
    Jim

Thank you all for your replies, I think I'll hunt down Derek Cohen's write up on this joint first - I find that if I tackle a new joint by hand tools first I understand it in a way that I can then go and try it with power tools if I choose to.

From what I can see, the joint is for adding timber to thicken up the top rail for shaping. This being the case, it is unnecessary joint work - a simple butt joint with a good quality glue is all that is required. That being said, be aware that this chair sacrifices structural integrity in the interests of style. Cheers

Wayne, it looks that way from the poor quality of the photograph, but what this joint is doing is joining the armrest where it curves around into the crest rail.

James Pallas above directed me to Derek Cohen's website where I got this picture of a chair Derek made using the same joint, and I think you'll be able to see the joint more clearly this time -

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 9.25.19 AM.jpg

Mark, that clears things up. That is as good a way as any to do the joint. It will be time consuming but effective. Cheers