Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day light savings

Try as I might, I don't care enough to give a darn ..... not a thing changes in my life because of DST.
    Tim

Capture.PNG

Regards, Rod.

Springing ahead to Daylight savings time in the middle of the night on a weekend kind of stinks! If they really wanted to make people happy, why don't they make the switch on Friday around 3pm? ;-)

I love the long evenings in the summertime. Here in Northern MN, it stays light til almost 10pm!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    There is no extra hour of daylight LOL the days are the same length as they have always been.Go to work an hour earlier get home and hour earlier and you an hour more of daylight in the afternoon. Farmers don't need dst they go to work when it gets light and stop when it gets dark, heck they don't even need a watch.
    I didn't think I needed to state the obvious: that you swap it for a later sunrise...most of us aren't farmers, and retired or not, we do have evening activities that benefit from daylight. Gosh, is it that much work to change your watch and a few clocks?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I hate the time change. If you want to see more daylight, just get up earlier.

As people set their clocks forward an hour for daylight saving time this Sunday (March 8), they may also want to take extra care of their heart. That's because people tend to have more heart attacks on the Monday following spring's daylight saving time, according to a recent study.

In fact, the number of heart attacks increased 24 percent on the Monday following a daylight saving time, compared with the daily average for the weeks surrounding the start of daylight saving time, according to a 2014 study in the journal Open Heart.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Plenty of farmers here

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    There is no extra hour of daylight LOL the days are the same length as they have always been.Go to work an hour earlier get home and hour earlier and you an hour more of daylight in the afternoon. Farmers don't need dst they go to work when it gets light and stop when it gets dark, heck they don't even need a watch.
    With a farm and 50+ animals to care for I really like the extra daylight in the evening. Sure, I start when it gets light (or usually before) but extra daylight in the evening makes it easier to get more done when it's cold out. For example, yesterday it was below freezing here (and quite windy) when it got light in the morning and it was close to 50 deg in the evening. For some reason the closer I get to 70 the less I enjoy the freezing weather.

In the summer, it is often too hot to work in the late afternoon but starts to cool off towards evening. The DST lets me get more done in the evening outside after some typical interactive things - grandkids/family, farm/shop visitors, dinner time, etc. With the longer daylight hours in the summer, I do often start in the morning before it gets light out and work until it starts to get too hot then pick up again in the evening.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't understand all the antagonism towards daylight savings time. I don't find it a big deal to change a few clocks. That said, I am a morning person, so one might assume I would prefer standard time. But I don't seem to mind waking in the dark and seeing the sun rise. The longer period of daylight after work is very desireable especially if you have younger children and wish to play with them outside as I did and my father before me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Mel, what's your beef with Daylight Savings Time (I don't mean switching from one to the other, just the extra evening hour of daylight).

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ...is it that much work to change your watch and a few clocks?
    Ole, it's not the changing clocks that's the issue. It's the upsetting of sleep times for a few days. What's wrong with staying on Daylight Savings Time ?. I've never heard a good argument opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Ole, it's not the changing clocks that's the issue. It's the upsetting of sleep times for a few days. What's wrong with staying on Daylight Savings Time ?. I've never heard a good argument opposed.
    The only good one I've heard is children walking to school in the dark. With Standard time, the latest time of the official sunrise is around 6:50AM in the late part of December/early January. It is another 10-15 minutes until the sun rises above the mountains. The elementary schools here have the latest start time at 7:50AM. That means there would be a lot of children walking to school in the dark and it would be harder to see them while driving that time of the year. That would be without changing the school start times of course.

Yonak, I just have an enjoyment of the symmetry of nature that is not there with pretend time. Never could see it when I was a kid, but even then I was interested in sundials, noon marks. Noon marks are easy to set up and still useful when when gardening. I've found a couple of nice ones around here ,one is made into a large structure, there are probably many of unrecognized ones ,especially in Eastern US. And when you find one you at least have a chance to see that is added to the history. I posted before about finding one and notifying an editor of history books who had asked for info about what the thing was made for. She had never heard of them and was not the least bit convinced. There are some old prints that show people of means "observing the noon",still makes a nice moment. And up until 1920s radio time announcements most clocks and watches were set by dials or marks,or by a signal sent by one observer ; that was the origin of new year ball drop.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-15-2017 at 4:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Personally, I don't understand all the antagonism towards daylight savings time. I don't find it a big deal to change a few clocks.
    Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, the fish tank light timer, car clock, truck clock, and this one caught me: a recently installed hot water recirculation pump (wife complained about no [semi]-instant hot water Monday AM). Oh, the swimming pool pump timer, the swimming pool booster pump timer, and finally, the clock on the wall in my shop. Thank goodness our 3 laptops, 1 iPad and 3 smartphones, 4 TVs, 2 cable boxes and living room clock all automagically adjust themselves.

Oops...one final one. My trust HP48SX calculator.

Yeah, it is a pain.

EDIT: two more: lawn sprinklers and soft water conditioner (although not terribly important to change that one I must admit).
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-15-2017 at 6:38 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, the fish tank light timer, car clock, truck clock, and this one caught me: a recently installed hot water recirculation pump (wife complained about no [semi]-instant hot water Monday AM). Oh, the swimming pool pump timer, the swimming pool booster pump timer, and finally, the clock on the wall in my shop. Thank goodness our 3 laptops, 1 iPad and 3 smartphones, 4 TVs, 2 cable boxes and living room clock all automagically adjust themselves.

Oops...one final one. My trust HP48SX calculator.

Yeah, it is a pain.

EDIT: two more: lawn sprinklers and soft water conditioner (although not terribly important to change that one I must admit).
    Sorry, I still don't think it is a big deal. This is the price for your modern conveniences. But if you do think it is a big deal, that is your right.

i change a thermostat, range / microwave, two car clocks and the coffee maker. It takes me all of three minutes total. All others change themselves automatically and my hot water recirculator runs 24/7. The time spent, even if it took an hour, would be worth it to me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Personally I like the extra hour of evening daylight during DST.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Let's see: the range, the microwave oven, two thermostats, my wife's watch, ...
    One year I decided to do an experiment - I simply left all the clocks alone except for those the family used. It was trivial to add an hour in my head where needed on clocks and especially timers - my timers don't care if it gets dark or light at a certain time. I don't remember getting confused.

When buying new clocks I get those that set the time, three in my shop. That leaves two appliances, two vehicles, and one old house clocks to set. I also have an old HP48 but I don't even remember it having a clock.

JKJ