Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for horizontal flush trimming?

Options for horizontal flush trimming?

Other than the Festool MFK700, what options are there for horizontal flush trimming of edge banding around a table top? The banding is 3/4" hard maple, did it once with hand planes and scrapers, don't want to do that again. Thanks.

Hi,
    I made a jig for this purpose from a book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton. My jig is for use with a small Bosch Colt router, but you can make one for any router. Here is a link to an article that illustrates the same concept: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/pr...ision_trimming. With a jig like this you would use a typical straight bit.

However, if you are specifically looking for something that would be used in a horizontal application (relative to the workpiece) with say a flush trim bit, here is a download pdf that might work for you: http://www.routerforums.com/attachme...h-trim-jig.pdf

Thanks Edwin. Did you have any issues with chip out with the Hylton jig?

Lamello makes a fantastic flush trimmer for solid edge banding, but of course it's a chunk of change. The next job with more than a day of edge trimming I'm ordering one.

Mike

thoughts on the Festool OF 1010 with attachments used for this purpose?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks Edwin. Did you have any issues with chip out with the Hylton jig?
    Len, no I haven't had a problem with chip out but when I have used it I have always been trimming very small amounts of material. Perhaps chip out and tearing could be an issue if it were an aggressive cut. I've used it to flush trim plugs and inlays besides edge banding.

I do not think the flush trim sawblades used in a skilsaw would be a good enough cut. Similar blades are used to trim under doors in vertical shaft handheld saw. How about a Japanese pullsaw?
    Bil lD.

the dedictated tools make sense if yo have any amount to do, if the parts are smaller you can run on a table saw jigged up a bit or a shaper or or, The first router way looks a bit mickey mouse the second router way shown more so little tiny cutter that will blow out and is clunky to use. We used to have modified power planers with side attachment handle and block it rode on, that worked more the way as the pro dedicated ones shown there, I dont know either probably seen them before and sure they do a good job. In some big shops doing edging to laminate they will trim up and leave a tiny bit few thous then clean it off with a chisel.

Is the maple wrapping something other than wood the center?

If it's just a veneer'd, or otherwise wood in the middle, why not just belt sand it?

It's not too hard to make a base+fence for a trim router to do what the Festool does (yes I have used MFK700 and it's nice).
    I made something like that for making a rebate on the back of a curved raised panel. It worked pretty well:

sc27.jpgsc28.jpgsc39.jpg

Thanks all for the great ideas. Each could work in certain circumstances but I have a big shelving job to do that will require trimming of about 150 ft of edge banding on plywood. The Lamello option seems perfect, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks all for the great ideas. Each could work in certain circumstances but I have a big shelving job to do that will require trimming of about 150 ft of edge banding on plywood. The Lamello option seems perfect, I'll look into that. Thanks!
    As an additional support to the way you're leaning on this - it's good to keep in mind that Lamello machines, while expensive, seem to hold value very well, a little like Festool. So if your purchase gets you through this job and at some point you decide the machine is gathering dust, you can likely get most of your money back out of it. The buyer won't be a hobbyist, it will be a pro shop that should see the price as insignificant compared to the productivity they will gain, if they do much flush trimming.
    Plus anything Lamello makes is a pleasure to use and that's worth something too. Best of luck,
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.

I have the Lamello Cantex and it does work very well. It is a little awkward due to the angle of the handle but I have gotten used to it.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by David Davies View Post
    thoughts on the Festool OF 1010 with attachments used for this purpose?

Dave
    I have Festool OF 1010 with attachment, 1/4" shank spiral bit, does not work well when trimming 20 mm wide solid wood edging, the router bit gouged the wood because of the buildup of the wood shaving even with dust extractor. I think OF1400 with 1/2" shank bit will work better, but OF 1400 is too heavy holding it horizontally.

I think this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z88bctiSUq0 is a better solution.

Of course, the ultimate solution is Lamello Cantex if you can justify the cost.
    Last edited by James Zhu; 03-17-2017 at 1:47 PM.