View Poll Results: Should I stay or should I go?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay and spend the money on tools.

8 28.57%
  • You only live once. Go on a mancation.

20 71.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen event: Attend, or just spend the money on tools?

Blog Entries

Lie-Nielsen event: Attend, or just spend the money on tools?

I have enough airline miles for the ticket. There is a B&B offering 5 nights for $480. I want to visit the Mystic Seaport, hence the extra nights. The car will cost $350 plus fuel, although a Harley is only a wee bit more . Meals aren't an issue, as food is cheaper there than it is here. I figure on top of burning 50,000 airline miles, I am spending $1,000 or more that I could spend on tools. Last year I had the same dilemma and chose tools. So- what say you? Should I stay or should I go? (P.S. Amy says go for it, but she's not keen on my plan to rent a Harley.)

Has anyone gone that can tell me is it worth going for the whole two days, or is it only something to stay at for a few hours? (I would certainly do the Lobster bake if I went.). I'm all for spending money on adventure versus material things. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

You don't always have a chance to spend a couple days learning interesting things from masters and new people. You can always sit on your couch ordering stuff off the internet, posting on here, and dreaming about using tools - but unless you have a team of master craftsmen around the corner - you won't have a day or 2 with them.

I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed myself. Crazy really; planned a couple weeks off during my wife's birthday and when she asked where we should go, I (half-jokingly) said: "Let's hit the Lie-Nielsen event up in Maine." She said sure and we both had a fantastic time in Maine - found a pet-friendly bungalow right off the beach. I honestly thought she was putting me on, I'd told her I'd take her anywhere within reason that she wanted.

EDIT: Maine is a great state to ride in.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 03-14-2017 at 9:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Malcolm,

I've only gone to a LN hand tool event once. It's a lot of fun to go. They bring several display tools for you to handle and test drive. They have some very experienced people there if you have questions about a tool.

I had no idea how small a #1 bench plane was and how big a #8 was, that's the only time I've ever seen them.

They bring some inventory with them to sell but I think it's kind of limited. I wanted to buy a bronze #4 and they didn't have one with them. They took my order and sold me the tool with free shipping, I had it in a few days.

They bring a bunch of their videos and let you have one with if you purchase a tool.

I'm mixed about how to vote. The trip would of course be nice but so would some stuff for the shop. Your wife probably knows best and if she said go, well ...........

PHM

I missed the part about the wife saying yes.....

You are now in danger of "Selling past the close". She already said yes... The discussion now is where she wants to stay and what she wants to do in Maine, and what sorts of clothes and shoes she needs on the trip.

The only thing that can happen by further discussion of "Whether or not" is for you to talk her out of it....

Blog Entries
    She can't complain- she's going to Spain for 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago for her third time. I wanted an adventurous woman- be careful what you ask for! (Full disclosure- I am blissfully happy with what I asked for.)

Actually my fear is I will get there and all the demonstrations are focused on the basics like sawing dovetails and chiseling mortises. If I knew there would be some advanced courses and time to really talk to the masters, then I would be in like Flynn. I did only just learn that there are other boutique toolmakers there- that is a plus. I already own most of the LN line, so trying their tools isn't why I would go. Do you get to tour the foundry? That would be worth seeing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I missed the part about the wife saying yes.....

You are now in danger of "Selling past the close". She already said yes... The discussion now is where she wants to stay and what she wants to do in Maine, and what sorts of clothes and shoes she needs on the trip.

The only thing that can happen by further discussion of "Whether or not" is for you to talk her out of it....
    This is a mancation. Just me, myself, and I.

Given you have most of their tools, unless they offer the advanced seminars, a foundry tour, or feature a number of different tool makers you'd be interested in seeing, I don't think the event would be my reason for going to Maine. If I were in your shoes (or sandals?), I'd make my decision on whether I want to visit Maine first, then know the event is there as one way to spend an afternoon (with free lobster?!)

Of course, you could do all. Go enjoy Maine, go to the event, AND buy more tools. Might as well rent the Harley while you're at it.

Mystic Seaport! That's a decent drive from Maine. I am debating on making the drive from there to the event this year. Something always seems to creep up that keeps me away.

Blog Entries
    I'm good with just checking out Maine... And CT. Cody, how long is the drive to Mystic from Maine? My world is only 12 miles long, 4 miles wide. Interstates make me nervous. I would like to go, but that's all day just getting there and back.

What about going to Handworks in Amana, Iowa in May? It looks like most of the high quality hand tool makers in the country are going to be there. Now, I'm originally from Iowa and I think its beautiful country, but I've been to Maine several times (actually got engaged to my wife on a trip there), and its inspirational beauty. So I guess it just depends on what exactly you want out of the trip.

www.handworks.co
    Last edited by Dan Sink; 03-14-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Dan beat me to the punch on suggesting the handworks event. That sounds like a much more varied event with many vendors represented and perhaps a chance to talk to some of the recognized experts in their field. I have to think that the LN event would be somewhat underwhelming if you already own many of their tools and the experience level of the guys that demo the tools may or may not be heads and shoulders above your level. There is some nice country side south of Iowa that would be very nice to ride/drive through as well. No seaport, but nice all the same.
    David

No idea about the LN event but I have ridden a motorbike in Maine during a business trip and thouroughly enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    She can't complain- she's going to Spain for 3 weeks to hike the Camino de Santiago for her third time. I wanted an adventurous woman- be careful what you ask for! (Full disclosure- I am blissfully happy with what I asked for.)

Actually my fear is I will get there and all the demonstrations are focused on the basics like sawing dovetails and chiseling mortises. If I knew there would be some advanced courses and time to really talk to the masters, then I would be in like Flynn. I did only just learn that there are other boutique toolmakers there- that is a plus. I already own most of the LN line, so trying their tools isn't why I would go. Do you get to tour the foundry? That would be worth seeing.
    Malcolm, can you call LN and ask them some of these questions directly? That might help you.

To me, unless you're longing for a particular new tool(s), the Harley adventure wins over the tool acquisition. And besides, if you can set aside $500 extra you can have the trip AND a tool!

Let us know what you decide (and how cool the trip is!)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This poll will be biased in favor of you spending more of your money. You will spend more by taking the trip because, not only will you be paying for the trip, no doubt you will still spend the $1000 on tools.