Thread: angle drill for sanding

angle drill for sanding

What is a good angle drill for sanding to replace the older version of the Milwaukee?? The newer Milwaukee version gets some bad reviews from users of the older one. There are some look-a-likes of the older version, but they aren't very good.
    The look-a-like that I have just died after a short time.

Help!

this has been talked about before and I think a quite a few people said that they use the harbor freight one at about 30 bucks and when it pukes go get another , I have one do not use it to sand that much but it has been fine.

3. I have used the Harbor Freight angle drill for about 3 1/2 years now......evidently, I got a good one, because it is going strong still after heavy usage. I think I paid $29 or so with a coupon and mine has the keyless chuck on it. For the price, it can't be beat, and I have heard other turners mention the more expensive angle drills that pooped out after a year or less. Just my $0.02
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I had a HF that I used and found it great until I used it with a 3" hole saw. Debated what to do with it - use chuck for holder on lathe etc. Tool it apart and found that the gear reduction gears were stripped not the bevel gears. Ok, nothing to loose make it a direct drive. Use liquid weld to make ti solid. Problem it is high speed and still working. Bought a second one and it is holding up fine. Both have been in use a least 3 years. If regular one quits would by another. Have a Milwaukee that is I don't use. One thing I like the HF over the Milwaukee is that the air vents are at the opposit end from chuck and gets less dust. My $0.02.

I bought the milkauwee look a like and mine did not last very long also, junk. My HF is about 18 months old and still working good. I think I've got my $30 worth from the HF. IMO

I also have the HF angle drill motor for sanding. I also bought the 2 yr. extended warranty. If it dies, they replace it.. Had it for about a year, no problems so far.

Jay

I bought an older milwaukee off Craigslist 5 years ago and it's still works great. I think I paid $40.

Thanks everyone.

Looks like HF drill is the way to go for now.
    I'm Headed down to the Savannah GA store now.

I don't know if it will work for the way you sand turnings but I haven't used my Milwaukee angle drill for sanding turnings since I started using a small, lightweight Grex random orbital sander.

grex_ROS.jpg

It does require a good air supply which I have plumbed in next to the lathe. What I like is how gently it can sand. I find it much easier to control than the angle drill. I use it with 2" and 1" pads and disks but I think 3" are available.

Note that I do almost all of my sanding with the lathe off. With good finish cuts and after removing tool marks with hand scrapers, I rarely use coarse sandpaper which keeps down the clouds of dust as well.

JKJ