Thread: Attended my first MWTCA meeting this past weekend

Attended my first MWTCA meeting this past weekend

I was wandering through some posts last week trying to jog my memory regarding places to get good older tools for not a lot of money. Of course the normal places emerged - the Auction Site, Hyperkitten, Roy Underhill's School, etc.... but I caught something Steven Newman said regarding Mid-West Tool Collectors Association. Being nosy, I looked it up online and browsed the site - and lo and behold the quarterly meeting for NC was 5 minutes from where I used to live. It was a sign that I was supposed to be there (or something).

Anyway. As this was a last minute thing, it wasn't like I had too many pennies saved up to go and do any major buying, but I figured it would at least be an education. Ed Hobbs was the speaker, and his specialty is foot powered woodworking equipment - so his talk was about restoring equipment when there aren't any examples left to scavenge replacement parts from. His foot powered bandsaw was nearly 8 years in getting rebuilt back to exactly the way it was when it first rolled off the line back in 1889. I could appreciate the work and the labour of love it took to restore that (and other) tools to exactly the way they were 130 years ago (having more than a passing interest in history myself), but that's not the crux of the story I want to share.

When I went, I had a couple of specific needs in mind - a couple of planes, or a dovetail saw (as it's difficult to do dovetailing with a D-8). Well if I needed any moulding planes, or hollows and rounds - I had it made. But the people who brought items to swap/sell were firmly in two categories - collectors ($$$) and 'please buy the items in my junk drawer'. Wasn't much of a middle ground.

There was a box of saws that had a 12" saw in it that I was drawn too, but the sign on the box said "box of saws - $75", and it had 6 saws in it. A pretty good deal, but I didn't have $75 in cash on me. Anyway after the meeting the guy who was responsible for the box saw me looking at that 12" saw, and I was going to make an offer for it independent of the box - and he said "make me an offer on the box - someone gave it to me to sell, and said anything I didn't sell throw into the trash, so I'm open to anything."

So . . . I now own the box of saws for less than half of what the sign was asking. What was in the box specifically?

Family portrait: IMG_20180724_104446.jpg

1. Keen Cutter 18" rip filed panel saw - 11ppi.

IMG_20180724_105608.jpg

2. Ulmia Sliding dovetail saw/stair saw, coarse - looks to be 5ppi

IMG_20180724_105549.jpg

3. Very thin saw like a keyhole saw/drywall saw - only identification mark is Newark NJ and 77. Blade is about 15" long, and 1-1/4" at the widest point, also about 5ppi

IMG_20180724_105532.jpg

4. 8" Pax flush cut saw - 16ppi

IMG_20180724_105514.jpg

5. 14" Sash saw, can't tell if it's rip or crosscut filed, but it has zero set to it. Steel back, and someone very helpfully wrote in sharpie Sash XC on both sides - no other identification markings. 14ppi

IMG_20180724_105453.jpg

6. And the saw that caught my eye that prompted all of this -- 12" W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner Ltd No 120 saw. Brass back, good etch, 11ppi. But this saw needs some repair from a former owner. As an aside - anyone know/have any saw nuts that would work on this saw? Handle at this point has a good bit of play in it due to it's most recent 'upgrade'.....

IMG_20180724_105429.jpg

So, I think it was a good day all around, and indirectly I can say thanks to Steven for his unknowing assistance . . .
    Last edited by Flamone LaChaud; 07-24-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added pics

Yep, I am a member . The trouble is most of the meets are too far away for me to attend.

Doesn't cost a lot for a year's membership....and they send you their "Grist Mill" newsletter several times a year. listed in the newsletter are the future dates , locations, and times of the upcoming meets.

You are Welcome.

Those meets are fun, I certainly understand the two camps though. It the MN one I went to I think nearly all my purchases were from 2 guys who were right in the sweet spot of good user tools.

I learned those meets are expensive places to spend a morning though

Blog Entries
    Looks like you found a sweet haul.

The Tyzack looks like it could use at least a new bottom horn. If you are adventurous, you might even want to make a new handle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Right now I'm more concerned about getting those two bolts and washers out of the handle and replace them with the proper saw nuts . . . . new handle can be an 'eventually' thing.

Flamone,

Ya done good! All of the saws, at the minimum, look to be in at least good user condition, although as you pointed out, some could use some restoration, and some appear to be of very good quality and excellent condition. In my view, they are worth far more than you paid for them, you were in the right place at the right time.

What is the diameter of the indentation for the medallion and for the ordinary saw nuts? Anyone wanting to help out will need to know that information.

To me your deal looks like a "win win" deal. You got a really good deal on the saws (IMHO), and the seller made more than he would have gotten for throwing the saws in the dumpster. It appears that all involved were happy.

I particularly like the panel saw, the keyhole saw, and the flush cutting trim saw, and the 12" back saw meets an immediate need you have. The other saws are gravy, and you have them for future projects!

To me, it is that odd situation where every saw in the box is already a winner or can be restored to a winner.

Stee

Flamone, I have tried to send you a PM two times, and both times when I hit the send button the message appeared to vanish into the ether.

Not quite sure where to go from here on the private message situation.

Stew

I got them both, and replied. Thanks Stew.

Flamone,

I replied to your first reply.

Stew

Flamone,

I replied to your latest message.

Stew