Thread: Thin kerf blade w/ Grizzly G1023RLWX table saw?

Thin kerf blade w/ Grizzly G1023RLWX table saw?

Anyone use a thin kerf with this saw? Would like feedback if you have.

Just got my 1023 yesterday. Reading through instruction/setup manual, and it says a thin kerf blade cannot be used with this saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Newsom View Post
    Anyone use a thin kerf with this saw? Would like feedback if you have.

Just got my 1023 yesterday. Reading through instruction/setup manual, and it says a thin kerf blade cannot be used with this saw.
    Odd, I run one on my Unisaw with zero problems. Ohhhhhhhhh, and congrats also on the new saw!
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 03-16-2017 at 6:13 AM.

Probably has a riving knife thickness for the full kerf blade

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post

That would make an infinite amount of sense...

I think Chris gets to the main reason why the manufacturer would say not to use them. With a 3hp+ motor there's less incentive to use TK, but aside from the riving knife thickness there's no reason they won't work.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-16-2017 at 8:58 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the 1023RL. A thin kerf won't work with the riving knife. Remove the riving knife and it will run fine. I sometimes run a 7-1/4" circular saw blade because it has a super thin kerf. I have to remove the riving knife to do this.

I had the griz 1023slx for 10 years. I used the Forrest WWII 40T thin kerf. It was sold to help reduce waste. I used that and only issue I ever had and it was very minor, was at extreme max tilt, on heave thick stock I would get slight deflection and I mean slight. To deal with that, I would cut the angle close then make a micro pass and it would be perfect.

When I sold that and bought the Sawstop ICS, it did not support thin kerf and I bought full width blades. Much better and still using Forrest WWII blades but reg kerf.

To be honest, I just can see the benefit of it. Minor maybe if you cutting a lot of expensive exotics or something, but not worth it

Thats my 2 cents worth but that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    I had the griz 1023slx for 10 years. I used the Forrest WWII 40T thin kerf. It was sold to help reduce waste. I used that and only issue I ever had and it was very minor, was at extreme max tilt, on heave thick stock I would get slight deflection and I mean slight. To deal with that, I would cut the angle close then make a micro pass and it would be perfect.

When I sold that and bought the Sawstop ICS, it did not support thin kerf and I bought full width blades. Much better and still using Forrest WWII blades but reg kerf.

To be honest, I just can see the benefit of it. Minor maybe if you cutting a lot of expensive exotics or something, but not worth it

Thats my 2 cents worth but that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. Have a good one.
    The only thing I can say is that several of us bought several thin kerf blades before we up graded saws. In that case, might be useful to run what you got. But at 3 HP, you will turn whatever blade you want to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post

Forrest has a plate to stiffen any thin kerf blades, I believe it has a 5" diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post

That is exactly the reason. I personally do not like thin kerf blades so only go with full kerf.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just run the 50 tooth combination Italian made Freud 10" blade on all my table saws. The ones you get at Home Depot. It has a .090 Kerf, and my Shark Guard splitter matches the .090 kerf. Since we don't have access to any woodworking supply stores here in Jackson, MS We either have to order off the internet or purchase blades at a big box store. These blades have functioned superbly; they may not have the thickest carbide and probably will only withstand a couple sharpenings, but they are a good value for $36.00. Chunk them and just buy a new one...