Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear recommendations

Footwear recommendations

Hi folks,

I am trying to move beyond crocs in my basement workshop.
    Since I am a hobbyist and have only small spurts of time here and there while juggling a busy work and home life - I need something that I can get in and out of quickly, is durable, offers adequate protection and is preferably made in USA.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Please and Thank You!

How about steel-toe Birkenstocks?

I wear the old reliable Sears Die-Hard oxfords. They still have laces, but they're comfortable when standing on concrete for long periods of time, and hold their grip when there's a little dust on the floor.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-16-2017 at 3:33 PM.

Don't laugh at the steel toed Birkenstocks. When I was in Sweden at a car parts manufacturer that cut, bent, and welded steel manifolds, mufflers, etc., I saw lots of folks wearing steel toed clogs! Not one person was wearing safety glasses, however, despite sparks flying everywhere.

John

Google Union Pro boot company, they are a small family owned business in Wisconsin. About $150 for a set of boots but they are orders and orders of magnitude better than the Chinese junk you buy at box stores. I can work for hours with these, and I have a cold concrete garage floor in Ohio. I also sue them as daily work boots, they really hold up and are comfortable. Cannot say enough good about these folks.

What's wrong with your Crocs?

I used to wear running shoes that I left the laces tied and loose so I could slip them on and off.

I wear Merrell "Jungle Mocs" in the winter. Easy to slip on and very comfortable when you are spending lots of time on your feet. Not steel toe, if that is a concern, and generally too warm in the summer. I wear Keen sandals in the summer unless I am at the lathe. Then I'm barefoot (and very careful not to drop sharp tools!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwini Kaul View Post
    ...Since I am a hobbyist and have only small spurts of time here and there while juggling a busy work and home life - I need something that I can get in and out of quickly...
    Gotta call BS on someone who claims to be too busy (and special) to tie his shoes. We all have to "juggle" time between work, home life and hobbies.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Get a pair of Romeo boots. Some brands are still made in the USA (I think) and they are leather, have a good non skid sloe and slip on and off easily once they're broken in. They are about all I wear outside anymore.

I've dropped too many sharp hand tools near my feet to feel comfortable with anything other than boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Google Union Pro boot company, they are a small family owned business in Wisconsin. About $150 for a set of boots but they are orders and orders of magnitude better than the Chinese junk you buy at box stores. I can work for hours with these, and I have a cold concrete garage floor in Ohio. I also sue them as daily work boots, they really hold up and are comfortable. Cannot say enough good about these folks.
    Red Wing Boots is another top brand made in the USA. As a result, they're a little more costly but they last forever.

+1 on the Merrell Jungle Moc's. I've been wearing the same pair pretty much every day for the last two years. I'm in my shop every day doing something, mostly turning, and I love these things. Super comfortable and great support too. I do have a second pair but those are for dress up days.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Duluth's wild boar boots. I love mine, wear them almost every day.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    +1 on the Merrell Jungle Moc's. I've been wearing the same pair pretty much every day for the last two years. I'm in my shop every day doing something, mostly turning, and I love these things. Super comfortable and great support too. I do have a second pair but those are for dress up days.
    Which version of the Jungle Moc's the one with the reinforced toe (work boot)?
    Mark McFarlane

Ever since I dropped a board on my foot and broke my toe, which hobbled me and pained me for several weeks, I have worn steel-toed slip-ons. Those steel toe Birkenstocks look promising if you can abide the fit.

Blog Entries
    My favorites are some slipons by Carolina Shoes and Boots. I bought them for the carbon fiber protected toes which keep horse hooves off mine, but they've been so comfortable I wear them at home all the time too.