Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Craftman Jointer, G0526, DJ-20 or G1018? Small Garage, Last Time I Ask, promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Seller of G1018 has it in storage and not access to 220 soooooo it can't be powered on. Can't imagine someone would go to the trouble of storing it with other large wood working tools if it didnt work. Thinking about offering $250 for since I gotta drive 45 and over a bridge, likely disconnect the motor, fence and separate it from the base in order to move it.

The free craftsman would be fine but the wider than 6" walnut boards I have would be a struggle to use.

I also really really enjoy finding deals and even if I add a byrd head to the g1018, it's still around $600 for an 8" jointer with a mobile base.
    It may well run fine and with a little bit of creativity one can find used motors for the price of dinner at a decent restaurant. I doubt very seriously that the motor is bad, if anything a bad capacitor. Probably a reasonable risk IMHO.

Seller of G1018 has it in storage and not access to 220 soooooo it can't be powered on. Can't imagine someone would go to the trouble of storing it with other large wood working tools if it didnt work. Thinking about offering $250 for since I gotta drive 45 and over a bridge, likely disconnect the motor, fence and separate it from the base in order to move it.

The free craftsman would be fine but the wider than 6" walnut boards I have would be a struggle to use.

I also really really enjoy finding deals and even if I add a byrd head to the g1018, it's still around $600 for an 8" jointer with a mobile base.
    I found a G1018 for $450 for a friend. Just got done putting a Grizzly spiral head not to long ago. really simple to do and the only way to go if you ask me.

Called and wont budge on the the $350 asking price despite being a 45min and bridge toll away and not being able to power it on. Said he can get $600 for it....yet its been listed for almost two weeks. Said he used it 3 months ago, no problem. Cleaned the beds with steel wool too. The on off box needs to be re-mounted, got knocked off during moving.

Pic below. I can't decide. Be a hassle to head out there and find it's tweaked.

00G0G_bPs32tI1UVp_600x450.jpg

Go for the DJ-20, If complete, good condition and running..buy it.

How about a new in box DJ-20? No word on a single or 3 phase but it's new in box, never used.

Idea of what that would run? I was thinking $700 to start. A new 8" grizzly shipped is $900.

How about a new in box DJ-20? No word on a single or 3 phase but it's new in box, never used.

Idea of what that would run? I was thinking $700 to start. A new 8" grizzly shipped is $900.
    might be worthwhile. When I buy used tools I prefer to buy an in use tool that someone else has tuned to perfection.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 03-23-2017 at 8:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    might be worthwhile. When I buy used tools I prefer to buy an in use tool that someone else has tuned to perfection.
    Well the son inlaw doing the selling said the father inlaw is asking $2,000 I said it wasn't more than $1200 new 10-15 years ago. We'll see. It's on pallets never assembled in rafters. They're gonna forklift it down and let me know. The fence and tables could be pitted and it may even be 3 phase. I'm not going over $500 for the 3 hours driving and potential headache.

8. Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    Looks like someone just bought the last one. Was it a forum member?

NIB is still used if you ask me because there is no warranty. I have had issues straight out the box on several brands an in this instance you won't even to call Delta for any kind help or parts. $500 sounds reasonable to me.

Well the son inlaw doing the selling said the father inlaw is asking $2,000 I said it wasn't more than $1200 new 10-15 years ago. We'll see. It's on pallets never assembled in rafters. They're gonna forklift it down and let me know. The fence and tables could be pitted and it may even be 3 phase. I'm not going over $500 for the 3 hours driving and potential headache.
    If it is three phase, a VFD is an inexpensive and easy way to convert it. Plus, three phase motors are very robust. It is how I run my Unisaw. I actually prefer three phase tools.

Quote Originally Posted by William Shelley View Post
    I would love to...someday...maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    NIB is still used if you ask me because there is no warranty. I have had issues straight out the box on several brands an in this instance you won't even to call Delta for any kind help or parts. $500 sounds reasonable to me.
    To me also. I would rather have a Powermatic 60 over a Delta DJ 20 any day of the week and twice on Saturday.