Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravograph LS100 vs. Epilog or Trotec

Gravograph LS100 vs. Epilog or Trotec

Hi All,
    We are looking for an engraving machine for engraving liquor bottles. After speaking with Gravograph, Epilog and Trotec , they told us that the best machine for our needs would be LS100, Mini 24 and Speedy 100.

Before talking to the sales reps, we were under impression that Gravograph is the best company out of these, but surprisingly it seems that they are the cheaper option out of 3. Is there something we are missing to why Epilog or Trotec might be better option then Gravograph even though Gravograph is about on average $3-4K cheaper.

Thanks so much!

None of the above? We sandblast liquor bottles all the time. Superior job to lasering. Did a $190 bottle of Hennessy today.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Agree that sandblasting superior to lasering, but for someone like me with no room for the equipment and no time to deal with the steps involved if I did, I have to make do with lasering

I've engraved glass with 4 different lasers, the only one that gives me decent results is my Gravograph LS900 (LS100's big big brother)... The little ULS did okay but no rotary. The Triumph is just too brutal, especially with no X axis DPI control other than dithering, which doesn't help much. The GCC also has no X axis DPI control except when vectoring. I've gotten close using the various halftone and dithering settings (which there are LOTS of), but no cigar yet, I get way too much fracturing.

My 900 does great on glass with the right settings. I've engraved over 1400 of these for this place so far, they all look this good- No wet paper or anything either...
    btg.jpg

Never tried with a Trotec or Epilog, I just know mine works
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    None of the above? We sandblast liquor bottles all the time. Superior job to lasering. Did a $190 bottle of Hennessy today.
    +1 for this if glass is what you'll be doing primarily. I got to try out some of the high end sand carving machines from Ikonics today (and another brand I can't remember right now). It's a pretty seamless solution and at a fraction of the cost of a high end US laser + rotary. I think the machine I was using today was a little over $6,000 and it was a beast. And a big plus now is the photoresist film so you don't have to do any cutting or weeding of your designs.

I was impressed; and a little depressed because I didn't know the alternative to our lasers was that efficient.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Some things you just can do in the laser, like these crystal decanters. The shape and thickness of them prevents the use of the laser. These things were SUPER delicate. We did a few of them (I think it was 500). Actual sandblasting of them took about 15 seconds each. Of course masking them took longer, but we had it dialed in, using plastic bags, we cut out an area for the sandblasting, dropped the decanter in the bag, lined up the hole with the mask, 4 pieces of tape and done. When it's done, open the bag, pull the decanter out, rinse off the mask.

IMG_1730.jpgIMG_1736.jpg
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

L100 is 18" instead of 24" so that counts for something. LS100EX (I believe that's the number) is a more fair comparison.

I'd look hard at the numbers you're being given. My experience is Gravograph machines are rarely the least expensive of the pack. I will say that I'd put my LS100 against any other similar size machine and I'd guess it will either perform just as good or better. With the exception of the software, it's a far superior machine to my ULS unit.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I have the LS100ex and the Speedy 400. I know its not a fair comparison because of the different levels of machine, but if the speedy 100 is like the 400, I would not hesitate to go with the trotec. I have barely turned on the LS100ex since I got the trotec. The only thing that I can think of that I prefer on the gravograph is that I you can send jobs to the machine and not have to go back to the computer to run the same job again. You just load new material and hit the go button.

If you have any specific questions I can try to help you.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-19-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 80watt, IS400 Volume (2x), LS100ex, Rayzist SandBlaster,
    Valiani MATPRO IX 150 Mat Cutter, Mitre-Mite T-350 double miter saw

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Matz View Post
    The only thing that I can think of that I prefer on the gravograph is that I you can send jobs to the machine and not have to go back to the computer to run the same job again. You just load new material and hit the go button.
    You can do the same thing on a Speedy - just hit the "GO" button again and the job on the plate will run again. I use that quite often to start a job as well as run a job again.

Like Gary stated, to re-run same job press "ENTER" symbol.

Gary,
    On speedy 400 does it say "GO" or is it "ENTER" symbol as on Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Like Gary stated, to re-run same job press "ENTER" symbol.

Gary,
    On speedy 400 does it say "GO" or is it "ENTER" symbol as on Speedy 300
    Mine is more of a "Pause/Play" button. I just used "GO" generically.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Some things you just can do in the laser, like these crystal decanters. The shape and thickness of them prevents the use of the laser. These things were SUPER delicate. We did a few of them (I think it was 500). Actual sandblasting of them took about 15 seconds each. Of course masking them took longer, but we had it dialed in, using plastic bags, we cut out an area for the sandblasting, dropped the decanter in the bag, lined up the hole with the mask, 4 pieces of tape and done. When it's done, open the bag, pull the decanter out, rinse off the mask.

IMG_1730.jpgIMG_1736.jpg
    When you say plastic bag, do you mean like a trash bag? or ziploc? or ?? Just curious.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

I used to use the plaque bags from JDS. I've also used a grocery store bag on occasion. Bags are so much more efficient than the old method of wrapping them in transfer paper.

As much as I love the results of sand blasting, I've discontinued it due to the mess. Now I farm it out.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    When you say plastic bag, do you mean like a trash bag? or ziploc? or ?? Just curious.
    Ziploc. Works like a champ. Cut a hole where the mask will be (larger than the mask so the tape actually sticks to glass), pop the object in, line up the hole, put 4 pieces of tape on it, zip the thing closed, blast away. Makes clean up really easy.

I will say there is a pretty big difference in the higher end cabinets. Their filter systems don't allow for them to cloud up in the inside of the cabinet, so you always have a great view of the object.

Still sounds like a lot of steps... so to sandblast my wine glasses--
    remove from box, apply mask stencil (very accurately, explained below), cut hole in bag, insert glass, tape (<how many uses per bag & tape, just curious?), put in cabinet, blast, remove from cabinet, wash, dry (air or towel?), rebox-
    vs.
    remove from box, place in rotary, press start *twice, remove from rotary, wipe with steel wool, rebox...

Hard to see in the above pic is the '2oz. pour' dash line well below the logo, circled in yellow- the upper line boxed in yellow is a 5oz. pour line...
    This is why the logo must be precisely located on the glass.
    btg2.jpg
    *The lower dash line requires a second pass and autofocus. The logo takes 1:17 to engrave, when done, hit 'next job' and 'start'.
    The dash takes 17 seconds. Machine 'homing' time adds maybe 10 seconds. Glass in/out takes 15 seconds.
    So total time is almost exactly 2 minutes each. As a bonus, unboxing, steel wooling, quick wipe and reboxing is all done while the next glass is running, so those steps add no extra time to the job...

And in case anyone may think the laser's doing a bad job engraving the logo border, it's on purpose!
    Left is their logo, right is exactly what the laser gets- The trapezoid effect is to compensate for the diameter change in the glass...
    btg3.jpg

Vick knows nothing about engraving, but she ran most of our last batch of 600 wine glasses all by herself, all I had to do was send the 2 jobs to the machine. That wouldn't work with sandblasting

I don't get enough glass work to justify sandblasting either. so I'll just keep on lasering as long as the LS900 keeps doing it well...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-18-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added photo
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I'm not saying it's bad or wrong to use the laser. But all thing being equal: for someone starting out, only doing glass, they should strongly consider the sandblasting.

The up front cost is less, you don't have to use a rotary, the blasting process takes literally 10 seconds (after setup of course), and most importantly you will generally get better (and certainly more consistent) results. Just my opinion based on what I learned this week. And a fair disclaimer: I don't own a sandblasting machine (yet) and I will definitely still be using the laser for glass.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX