Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Caddy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I find a counter with some drawers and a tool cabinet practically a necessity.

One thing I find very handy (yet to build) is a lamp holder that slides along the rear rail.

Here's my setup. I thought about a bench top tool caddy but I know that's too fussy for me while working. Besides, I can just turn around and all my tool storage is quite handy.

I'm in the process of adding two more drawers to left and right under bench.

Hope this gives you an idea :-)

Attachment 356273
    Robert, Excellent set up!!! like it a lot!
    Jerry

While I have a rack on the back of the bench for the "ready use" items...
    Benchtop storage.jpg
    I have been known to build a tote or two.....for times when I need to take tools down to my Daughters place, for one of her projects..
    side view.jpg
    Sized to hold a full-sized handsaw..
    handsaw.jpg
    I can add a rack to the insides, if needed ......

Gary - looks like you have pretty much all of the core equipment on that dude.

I think you have to rotate the picture before posting (or edit the post).
    Regards,

Kris

Steven - nice tote. Your rack on the back is what I was going to do originally. Now I am thinking of something moveable.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Malcolm,
    I for one, would be vary interested to see how you use T-Tracks on your bench and your shooting board as you mentioned a couple of weeks ago. If you don't mind sharing.
    Thanks
    Chet
    I will try to remember tomorrow to get a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Glen - thank you for sharing. That is helpful, and helps me visualize what I need for my setup. I see what looks like a hook-rule in your caddy. Do you use it a lot? If so - what do you think of it? I use a 16' tape and usually burn an inch to avoid potential error in the hook but I have been eyeballing the hook rules.
    Off topic, but you asked....... Lee Valley sells some pretty nice hook rules that I use constantly. You can find them here if you're interested.

Hope it helps!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    Here is my pitiful tool caddy. Holds almost every hand tool I have. Has a stand alone base so I can carry it wherever I'm working and just set it down. Didn't have a hand tool oriented workbench at the time I built it.
    Looks like a darn NICE caddy to me Gary. I'll be copying that one! Thanks.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for hosting up those pics for me Kris. Yes the weight bears on the top and and the vertical back of the tool well, the brass tabs just hold it from going backwards. In retrospect they could have been smaller and I wouldn't have to lift as high to remove it, but since I built it it has never needed to come off.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Tool Rack/Caddy is Finished

Thanks to all who shared ideas. I stole parts from several of them.

Here is the finished rack. Jim - I didn't read the part in your post about the tabs could have been smaller. I guess I got carried away.

I put felt under the brass tabs and under the shelf and back. Probably just as easy to pick up and move it as it would be to slide it but I didn't want to unnecessarily mar my new bench
    20170325_141801.jpg

She holds most of the tools I use on a regular basis.
    20170325_141853.jpg

I turned some pegs to hold my turning saw.
    20170325_141915.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Nice job Kris, glad to be a part of it. I was thinking of something similar as you built for saws, since mine carries no saws.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Nice tool caddys gents.

Robert, I'm kind of in the same boat (although your boat looks much better). Workshop is small - what you see in the picture is all there is! Tools are just a step and reach away. Wall of tools has changed over time as I rearange to keep the most used on the wall, with lesser used tools in the drawers/cabinets and storage area on the other side of the door.

One of these months, I'm going to tackle replacing the particle board top below the tools...but I've been thinking that for years...
    Would also like to replace the peg board...but that's a tough one to get motivated to do.

IMG_0460.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    Here is my pitiful tool caddy. Holds almost every hand tool I have. Has a stand alone base so I can carry it wherever I'm working and just set it down. Didn't have a hand tool oriented workbench at the time I built it.
    There in nothing pitiful about your compact tool caddy. No nonsense useful and portable design!
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.