Thread: Last night's efforts.

Blog Entries

Last night's efforts.

How I do love this wood.
    My first attempt turning it dry (~10-11%). It gets fairly hard, doesn't it?
    When I was finished I couldn't help but notice I'do turned a dog's bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 03-16-2017 at 8:32 PM.

Nice job Bill!

That is beautiful wood. I like how you roll your lips on your bowls inward. They have a nice flow. What do you finish them with? This one and the one you posted on my thread both have a very nice shine to them. I had to laugh at your "signature" drilling to deep to expose screw holes. I definitely screw up more than I succeed.
    USMC '97-'01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    That is beautiful wood. I like how you roll your lips on your bowls inward. They have a nice flow. What do you finish them with? This one and the one you posted on my thread both have a very nice shine to them. I had to laugh at your "signature" drilling to deep to expose screw holes. I definitely screw up more than I succeed.
    Yeah, I gotta get a handle on that. My wife had the perfect solution, she stuffed a porcelain fox in it that one of our granddaugters gave her birthday.

I sand down to 2000. I know most don't and some do little sanding at all. They must have really learned the art of sharpening their tools. On a positive note, I plan to heat my future workshop with a wood stove.
    And these 2 pieces are the first time I wet sanded. After sanding with 2k I poured some mineral spirits on a paper towel and finish sanded wet with the 2000. I was surprised at the results and intend to continue finishing everything that way(aside from cedar shutters ) I should add that I wiped most of the mineral spirits off with a rag, then used about 80psi air to make sure nothing loose got trapped under the tung oil FINISH that I applied emediately while it was still wet. They have just one coat in the pics.
    And thank you for your compliments, Adam.