Thread: Old Iron on Craigslist

Old Iron on Craigslist

I currently have a Jet 12" jointer/planer combo with a helix head and I'm not a huge fan of. It works OK. Its just hard to keep tuned up for repeatable results. As a result, I periodically search craigslist for something different. This 12" American jointer showed up close to my house(which is kinda of rare). I just want something that will provide repeatable good results without much fusing. Any thoughts on this machine would be appreciated.

'https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/6045238659.html
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-16-2017 at 9:25 PM. Reason: removed direct link

I think it is a "Yates American" brand. see the link below. It may be Babbitt bearings and/or square cutterhead. Seems at least double the price I would expect. That direct drive motor makes it twice as wide as a belt driven model.
    Bill D.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...erican-jointer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgVRLEJ-1E

http://vintagemachinery.org/files/PD...r_Sep_1942.pdf
    Bill D.

American prior to yates buyout. Ball bearing. If condition is good the price is only a little high. Keep in mind if the tables are flat and the motor good, it is more machine than anything new under 8-10K. Dave

Like Dave says, pre Yates-American, so it is simply an American.
    They are an excellent machine, and arguably the best jointer engineering design ever.
    Most likely it has a Crescent brand 3 knife round head which is an excellent design as well.
    It looks pretty clean, and has the older generation solid cast fence, compared to mine which is a cored type cast fence.
    I have been using mine which is the 16" belt drive model every day for about 20-22 years now, I can't say enough good things about it.
    If the tables check out, there are no bearing issues, and the adjustments all work out, it is an ok buy at that number.
    If you could get it for around $1500-1800, you should jump on it.
    Just my slightly biased opinion.

Nothing I can add that hasn't already been said, but if you want a set it and forget it machine, an old jointer is hard to beat. They will take some fussing and sweat equity on the front end, but once you get them dialed in, they DO NOT MOVE!

**My opinion, like Peter's, is slightly biased, but a new comparable Northfield will run you about 7 or 8 times that price. It's not a screaming deal per se, but it's a reasonably fair price for a clean machine that's running well and a much better "deal" than anything new at that range. Check the motor, the bearings, and the table flatness. Not much else to these things. Go get it and report back when you do!

I appreciate all the good advice. I emailed the seller last night. No phone number provided. Hopefully, I can go see it later today or tomorrow.

7. good to know that you have contacted the seller.. hoping for a good response too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Fenske View Post
    I appreciate all the good advice. I emailed the seller last night. No phone number provided. Hopefully, I can go see it later today or tomorrow.

It's probably got a 3 knife head (made by american) double bearings on operator side, 1304a I belive and I can't remember the big bearing on the back side.

I have a 20" DD 5hp American getting ready for its new owner right now.

Looks like a 16" though to me, maybe not.

Older American iron is so darned nice...and I really dislike Combo machines. If you can make this work, I would be all for it! Good luck and keep us posted,....

The soonest he could show it to me is next Saturday at 0900. I got a truck, trailer, engine hoist, misc lashing/straps and cash. Should be good to go. Waiting sucks.