Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headsup: Lowe's discount

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    The Lowes here used to apply the 10% discount if you showed a DD214. Now they require a photo ID with it. Said a lot of guys were just using copies of somebody else's 214.
    There you go. Every good thing eventually gets ruined by people who abuse it.

My Lowe's doesn't accept my DD214 so I take my business to Home Depot which does. Over the past 5 or 6 years I'd say Lowe's missed out on more than $10,000 of my business.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    My Lowe's doesn't accept my DD214 so I take my business to Home Depot which does. Over the past 5 or 6 years I'd say Lowe's missed out on more than $10,000 of my business.
    My local HD declined my DD214 but my neighbor claims the same store accepts his. I guess I will insist on seeing a manager next time.

Just searched and found this from Home Depot ---

According to Matt Harrigan, Home Depot's public relations spokesman, the last change to their veteran's discount police in 2010 to include an everyday discount. Prior to the change, the discount only applied to major patriotic holidays. Their discount now applies to those active duty, their members, those retired for 20 years, reserves and those disabled while in the service.

Here is where I found this: https://www.aol.com/article/2015/06/...able/21196035/

Hmmm
    Last edited by George Bokros; 03-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    How do you get VA card??
    I've had mine for a while and don't remember the exact process. I think I got a form from the VA website and submitted it with my DD214. That got me a letter back from the VA saying they had verified my service. Then I had to go to a VA facility with my passport to prove who I am and they took a picture of me. Got my card in a couple of weeks.

You can go further into the VA and further identify yourself which gives you email access to doctors and others.

I don't remember all of it exactly because it occurred over a number of months and it was some time ago. If you have a Veterans' Service office near you, give them a call and they can help you.

Maybe someone else can give you a more detailed explanation.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

So the answer is that the official Lowe's discount is for active and retired military, not Veterans? Except maybe around Veteran's Day when its for Veterans? Probably most clerks wouldn't know the difference.

According to VA website as quoted below, a Veterans ID card is not yet available, but will be. This is different from the VA health benefits ID.

On July 20, 2015, the president signed into law the Veterans Identification Card Act of 2015. This act allows Veterans to apply for an identification card directly from VA. The VA identification card will allow Veterans to demonstrate proof of service for discounts at private restaurants and businesses.
    It should be noted that the identification card is different from a Veteran Health Identification card or a DoD Uniformed Services or retiree ID card. As such, the VA identification cards cannot be used as proof of eligibility to any federal benefits and does not grant access to military installations.
    When available, Veterans will be able to request an ID card from VA for a fee. VA is currently making plans to implement the new law in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible while protecting Veterans’ personal information. We estimate that VA will be able implement the program in 2017. The cost of each card has not yet been determined.

I found this web site that tells you how to get a Veteran's Identification Card from the VA.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lowes and Home Depot will beat their competitor's regular prices by 10% anytime; if you can show them the advertised price. Just load it up on your smart phone and show it to them! I do that, especially on big-ticket items.