Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying something...different

Trying something...different

Always like to try something new out. Too mcuh of the same old, same old gets stale

Sooo, I took a couple pieces of 1 x 4x 24" Poplar and cut one down to 12", the other into 6" lengths. Laid out some lines, like always...
    start here.JPG
    Set to the thickness of the boards. Marked out a few "fingers' on one face and the end grain. No plan was made for the other face....
    bevel cut.JPG
    This time around, I was cutting...mitres..
    Well...almost.
    version 1.JPG
    Version #1.....Something will get changed here, though. I mis-cut the matching half
    mis-cut.JPG
    Soo, back to the drawing board..and Pizza!

Came back down, and chopped a bit more, sawed a bit, chiseled a bit, then a test fit..
    test fit.JPG
    It is supposed to look like a mitre joint, right? Even on the inside?
    inside.JPG
    Until you look at all them squiggles going on.....and then "open" this joint up.....
    opened up.JPG
    Instead of dovetails and pins...I have fingers. BTW: First time I have ever tried this sort of thing....not too bad, for a rookie?
    One done, three to go. Stay tuned....

The hidden finger pizza box miter joint!

Hi Steven

Nice work on the construction. However, the whole point of a dovetail joint is the mechanical advantage it has over the glue of a simple finger joint.

Regards from Perth

Derek

A fellow at another site wanted to know IF this sort of finger joint COULD be done. So, I decided to try one out. Maybe after the other three to build a box, I might get good at these things. Dovetailed? BTDT, ONCE......
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Did not find them very fun to do...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-17-2017 at 8:54 AM.

Yeah, I saw that .... Bandit

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good job on the hidden joint. Even if it was not a dovetail, it greatly increased the surface area of the wood. That helped the strength of the joint a lot. But, when you are seriously making a joint, you know how to make hidden dovetails.

Well, first, I need to get better at these. Tried out the second ever of these joints...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    Need to find a better way to remove that area right in front of the fingers. It needs to match the slope of the edges. A couple sharp chisels were used this time around.....This is the long side of the box. I recycled the mis-cut end to fit into this corner. So..now I have 2 corners done, and two more to do....then the usual suspects come along and build the rest of the box...Not sure about splitting the lid off on this one...yet.
    DSCF0009.JPG
    Second corner, looks a little bit better. So much so, I had to go back and tune the first corner up...
    two done.JPG
    So, now I have two corners done.

As for doing these as dovetailed....BTDT...royal PITA. I think ONCE would be quite enough, even with the walnut I used back then..
    secret mitre.jpg
    Opened up?
    parts.jpg
    Been awhile...

Very cleaver, but probably beyond my capabilities.

I found the more I do these, the better it gets.
    l;ayout marks.JPG
    Other than the mitre cut, mostly just finger joints. That line going across, is where I cut the fingers to length at. I crosscut down to the area of the bevel.
    chopped out.JPG
    I then can chop out square sockets for the fingers to go into from the other half of the joint. A lot of test fits going on...
    dry fit 1.JPG
    Trying to get the mitre to close up. I also added a handle, to help me use a rasp..
    handled.JPG
    Old lathe chisel handle, cut down and re-shaped. Helped on the angled parts....
    dry fit 2.JPG
    Still have some fine tuning to do....but all four corners are basically done.

This is really cool and impressive work, my friend!

Might need some extra hands, when the glue up happens....

Got the grooves milled for a top and bottom panel....
    fixed jig.JPG
    Stanley #45. Had to reset the depth of cut....was still set up for those thin boards from the last box.
    dry fit.JPG
    Was doing a dry fit, to mark the size I need for the panels...Gone this far, might as well make a box out of it....

While building the jig to hold the sides still long enough to groove them....the long angle piece split at a screw hole.....decided to finish the split with a chisel...and wound up peeling a bit of hide from my little finger...right along the fingernail, of course...OW! (Among other choice words and phrases) Then, found out the long hold-down was too long..
    jig too big.JPG
    Was hitting the rods as they went by.
    two grooves.JPG
    A little bit better. I also had to re-mark the "T" and "B" marks...yep, ploughed right through the old ones.
    Might have been distracted by the sight that was straight ahead of the work area..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Gap in the block planes is because I had been using the 60-1/2 one.

Shop is closed on Mondays. I guess I might as well make a box out of this mess.

Maybe someday, with enough practizing, I might get good at making simple boxes.....

No "lip" for this box's lid....but...the Stanley 45 could do a couple beads around, and then I saw between to cut the lid off.....

I couldn't stay out of the shop ( and paid for it) Decided to at least size the two plywood panels, to make the bottom and the lid. Bandsaw to cut them close to size......then a junior jack plane to joint the edges..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Then a test fit..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Looked decent enough, but a little "boxy". Decided to at least round over the edges of the top..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Do you ever get going too fast, and pull back too far.....that corner is quite sharp..left index finger found that out ( DNA on a project..)
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Well, after a bandaid, I gave this another test fit, to see how the round overs looked..then I set upp a few clamps
    DSCF0005.JPG
    To get the clamps set close enough I could clamp the box up, without too much fiddling around.....would have been nice to have a couple extra hands....
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Seemed to be square. Took things apart, slopped some glue around, and clamped it all together...
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Needed a couple other clamps...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    And one at the diagonal to pull things into square. Will let this mess set overnight. fingers are getting sore...

Decided to at least set up the Stanley 45 for the next job. Found that the spurs were still in the "engaged" mode. Tried to retract them......one wasn't a problem, the other one lost that #$#@#$#$@ bolt that holds the spur in place. Guess that I'll just have to order another one......normal Mondays around here.

Luckily, I do not need those spurs when cutting beads. I'll get the box out of that forest of clamps, later today, and see about cutting those beads. Need two beads, far enough apart to allow a saw to go between them. Will take two settings of the fence. And...a decent enough way to hold the box still while I cut the beads. Film @ 2300hrs ( I hope...)