Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying something...different

I am not sure I follow why you are doing this other than to just do it and find satisfaction in that. Is there another reason for this? I know you said "been there done that" with dovetails but I don't see any benefit to box joints for this application.

A friend wanted to know IF such a joint could be done. I don't like mitre joints, as they are hard to clamp up. The fingers do help with alignment and add a bit more glue surface. Just something different from boring dovetails and box joints. Finding these take a little more effort to get just right, and very SHARP tools are needed. More of a case of trying something ...new, is that too scary?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might need some extra hands, when the glue up happens....

Got the grooves milled for a top and bottom panel....
    Attachment 356417
    Stanley #45. Had to reset the depth of cut....was still set up for those thin boards from the last box.
    Attachment 356418
    Was doing a dry fit, to mark the size I need for the panels...Gone this far, might as well make a box out of it....
    If you need extra hands I am an hour away and you have my number. I really don't need much of an excuse for a road trip.

Chris

Took the clamps off this morning...grrrrr, one corner failed to glue up...not enough glue? Fixed THAT and re-clamped that corner back up...
    re-glued.JPG
    The other corners came out decent enough..
    cleaned end.JPG
    That I could use a plane to clean them up.
    While setting up the 45 for some bead work...
    bead cutter.JPG
    Decided that I didn't need the spurs.....and promptly lost one of the bolts that hold the spurs in place....will be about $11 to replace it. Whilest down on the floor, looking for that expensive trinket, found the wedding ring I had lost last month, meh

So, awaiting the new glue up to cure a bit, and trying to find a way to hold the box steady enough to run this fancy plane all the way around the box...twice

Stanely 45.JPG
    Beginning to hate Mondays in the shop....

A friend wanted to know IF such a joint could be done. I don't like mitre joints, as they are hard to clamp up. The fingers do help with alignment and add a bit more glue surface. Just something different from boring dovetails and box joints. Finding these take a little more effort to get just right, and very SHARP tools are needed. More of a case of trying something ...new, is that too scary?
    Not as long as you are the one doing it!
    I don't like mitre joints, as they are hard to clamp up. The fingers do help with alignment and add a bit more glue surface.
    Yes - that makes sense. I know what you mean about plain old miter joints and clamping

Not sure IF these joints will remain "hidden" ...Once I had cut the lid off today...
    DSCF0009.JPG
    Details emerge. I did get the Stanley 45 running today..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Cutting a couple beads all the way around the box.
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Then I took this to the bandsaw and split off the lid..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Add some hinges and a finish
    DSCF0017.JPG
    And call this box done..
    DSCF0014.JPG
    Afraid the panel for the lid is a bit on the plain side, though..
    DSCF0016.JPG
    Will rub the Witch's Brew out later this week.....once it quits stinking up the shop...

Might call this one done? The Boss want a second end table for the bedroom. It will have to match the existing...
    side view.jpg
    Means I will have to uncover the lathe...sometime....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-22-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Have a finish on this box, now. May take it to a local Craft Store a friend of mine runs, and see what she would do with it.....Maybe a fancy Recipe Box?

Box was more to learn about HOW to make this joint. There is a detail in the insides of the corners, that say this is something besides a plain, old mitre joint...
    corner joints.JPG It all depends on where you saw through this joint.
    As it turned out, I had cut right through one of the fingers.
    sawn lid.JPG
    As I was trying to "split" the beads.....the Stanley 45 did a decent enough job, whether it was a single bead..
    single bead.JPG
    Or doing the double beads..
    double beaded.JPG
    Just enough "Fancy" to keep it from being just a plain old box.
    front view.JPG
    Have since added a coat of Lacquer, Clear Gloss, and rubbed it down a bit.

Now, I just need to round up a bunch of pine to make that table's twin....Might be the next wood working story I tell....