Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Hose Recommendations

Air Hose Recommendations

The 3/8" air hose on my hose reel has developed a leak near the fitting. I would cut it off and install a barbed fitting, but the outer jacket is cracked over most of the length and I doubt it will last much longer. I have looked at Goodyear rubber hoses and find many reports of new hoses developing ruptures and leaks near the fitting.

Has anyone bought any hose lately that they can recommend?

I have some Flexilla hose and love the stuff and so has anyone that's used it.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

X2 flexilla

X2 flexilla
    or others with same features.

x3 Flexilla

Flexilla you all say huh? Good to know. Ill have to order one.

Ha! And it appears they are bright green, so theyll nicely match a Grex nailer!
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 03-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yes, Ben and the color helps me avoid tripping over it

Have you guys had any issue with the aluminum fittings? Is the strain relief removable for use on a hose reel?

No and yes. We've put some Flexilla hose on reels at work. Only problem we had was the stop didn't fit the 1/4 inch hose.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 03-17-2017 at 5:23 PM. Reason: add info
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I use Flexeel branded hoses and love them. There are several similar products available under other names and I'd choose them over rubber any day. Lighter, less "memory", etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Any of you guys own this bad boy: LINK

Never had a retractable air hose, and that one looks nice. Pricey though.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

What is the best place to source Flexeel or Flexzilla? Flexeel is twice the price of Flexzilla on Amazon.

Bought it at the local Borg, Menards, waited for it to go on sale. Bought two 50 foot 3/8 hoses for nailers when I built my cabin.

Used a flexeel when I helped a friend build his house and I think the Flexilla is nicer. Easier to see and lays flat with just a shake even when it's 20 degrees outside.

doing a roof rebuild in near winter my fancy blue line was horrible and dangerous up there would not even lay flat and got very stiff. The 3/8 Flexilla solved that. In the summer when its warm I like the Blue line better. Its soft and light and there was something about the fliexilla almost like it had a memory and didnt wind right where i hang it, found in the warm I liked my other line better. I cut the ends off the flexilla and gave them away too big and goofy, put on one brand of ends I like very small with six balls in there and Oeteker clamps, they are not perfect but better than the usual band type clamps.

Working at a industrial hose shop and having manufactured our own air hose I may be a little biased. But I believe for durability and overall performance, a quality real* industrial grade rubber air hose hard to beat. Not trying to knock a product I've never used, but I've handled a flex zilla hose and they definitely feel nice, but i don't see them used in mills, truck shops etc. I've had people come in who have had quality rubber garden hoses ( same type of material) for 20 yes or more.

High grade Polyurethane are also very hard to beat. (my preference) almost*** impossible to kink, Extremely light, equal to or more durable than rubber,non marking and dont stiffen in the cold. On the flipside though, They do have some elasticity though and if your reel has a very tight spring, you might notice they feel like their stretching. it's not going to hurt the hose, but it's weird to get use too. But I have experienced a slight memory in some hoses.

Anyways that's just my take from having worked with Industrial business's (mills,ship yards, truck shops).

And I understand the needs of those places are different than those of a hobbiest.