Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Hose Recommendations

Flexzilla here also. Nice product.

Pay attention to the details because Flexzilla supplies hoses with 1/4" and 3/8" npt ends. I got mine at Tractor Supply.

PS
    Don't tell anyone, but I use one of their 100' garden hoses to extend my airlines. It's rated for 150 psi and the end fittings are the same quality. Zero pressure drop at 100' with that hose.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a couple Goodyear hoses and hate them..... They will not lay flat on the floor.. It's like they were coiled when manufactured before being cooled so they have a set in the material.

Robert

I used to buy rubber hoses at harbor freight. They are no longer rubber but some synthetic that does not flex in cold weather. Only gets to freezing here so hard to imagine what they would be like in colder weather.
    Also the new hose fitting are too short on the hex. A standard wrench is too thick and the sides of the wrenches jam together before the threads stop leaking. Needle nose pliers had too little torque I had to get a service wrench or grind a standard wrench flatter to stop the leaks.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    But I believe for durability and overall performance, a quality real* industrial grade rubber air hose hard to beat.

High grade Polyurethane are also very hard to beat.
    Do you have any specific recommendations that won't break the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Willhoit View Post
    Sent you a pm.

I have been using Flexeel for 20 years. I have at least 600' of the good gray hose hanging in the shop, but use Flexeel unless I need a long run of hose. Flexeel is an American company, the originator of this type of hose, so I stick with them. The Chinese knockoffs, well they are just that knockoffs and I will not support such things to save five bucks.

The original Flexeel I bought by accident as I forgot my air hoses and stopped and bought one of these. I was working on a 36" cathedral ceiling, and the light weight was amazing! That original hose is still in service today after 20 years of commercial work. The ends have had to be shortened a couple of times as they wear, but it is still working.

One thing they do not do well at is handle heat. I use rubber hoses at in the welding/plasma cutting area as a hot slag will burn a hole in one of these fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Willhoit View Post
    Todd did my pm come through?
    It isn't showing in my sent folder.

Got it, Michael.

Wow, guys. Rubber hose was the only thing on my radar, but the weight and flexibility of the other styles have me reconsidering my position. Which means that it will take longer to make up my mind...

Just a note. the one thing I do not like them for is spraying, by nature they are kind of uncontrollable and always end up in the paint. For that I use a good rubber hose.

Air Hose Recommendations - UPDATE

I thought it would be appropriate to provide an update to my original question. In the end, I purchased a 3/8" x 50' Contractors Choice polyurethane hose from A-1 Coupling. The hose has a slight octagonal shape that I would guess adds a bit of material and should last a little longer. I specified 3/8" MNPT fittings on each end to match my hose reel and coupler setup. Out of curiosity, I cut the barbed fittings off of the old hose and found that the new fittings have a considerably larger ID.

It does voluntarily coil more than rubber, which I suspect is partly related to the reduced weight. Sort of a plus and minus at the same time, but I do like the lighter weight.

Overall, I am very satisfied and look forward to observing if there is any improvement the next time I use my impact wrench.

Ha Just placed an order for a Flexzilla not 5 minutes ago then saw this thread pop up again.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I like the flexzilla lines. The 25' retractable flexzilla reel is lousy though. They designed it to reel up empty no pressure lines. Pressurized the line will not recoil fully. I have not tried the 50' reel. Cheap but got what i paid for.

I like the 25' flexzilla coiled lines too.

Flexila! I have a reel/felixila combo I bought fro,m Sears a long time ago and love.I am even looking at replacing my garden hoses with Flexila.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lemley View Post
    Flexila! I have a reel/felixila combo I bought fro,m Sears a long time ago and love.I am even looking at replacing my garden hoses with Flexila.

Jack
    We did that a couple years ago. I'm away from home at the moment so can't check the brand but it's light green and was purchased from Tractor Supply. It's some sort of polyurethane or polyurethane hybrid and a HUGE improvement from the rubber hose we had. Lighter, kink-resistant (not kink-proof) more flexible and stays flexible when temperatures drop. We had a hose cart but the water connections started leaking and eventually weren't worth trying to repair. I just wrap 100' of the Tractor Supply hose on a hose hangar. It's light and flexible enough that it's not a chore.