Thread: Searching for plans for a High End CNC router using ball screws and linear bearings

Searching for plans for a High End CNC router using ball screws and linear bearings

Searching for a detailed set of plans to build a "high end" CNC router that utilizes ball screws and linear rails/bearings. Machining envelope in the range of 48" x 36" x 12" is desired. Machine will be used for primarily for wood, however, I would like the capability to machine aluminum occasionally.

A 48 inch long ball screw will have a large diameter so it won't whip. On our Beisse's they use Rack and pinions

My Camaster also uses a rack and pinion design. It has not been a problem.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you for the responses. I am aware of the problems of "whip" when using long ball screws that are not of sufficient diameter. I currently have a 4' x 8' rack and pinion machine that I built 3 years ago. It works fine for wood and plastic and the occasional piece of aluminum

My request for plans to build a "ball screw" machine is based on the need to machine 4' x 4' x .375" aluminum sheets for a customer. The customer requires closely held tolerances that his current supplier is not able to provide consistent quality parts in the quantity required.

Does anyone know of plans that are available for a smaller (2' x 3') ball screw machine that I could "re-engineer"?

Thank You,
    Roger

Havent most ball screw machines been stationary screws? No rotating screw = no whip.

Check out the Ox-Metal CNC Variant . It is using screws instead of timing belts. For the ball screws, I assume you're wanting C3 or C5 screws? If so, Automation Overstock is worth a look. I can't speak to quality, but if they are truly what they say, you can get some great deals on large, accurate ball-screws from them. I've been putting together a build for a 3'x4' CNC for wood, plastic, and the occasional aluminum as well. My ideal is Nema 34 motors, C5 ball screws, and either a planet-cnc or smoothieboard controller. Best of luck to you. I'd be interested to hear what you finally decide on when the build is done.