Thread: You're never too old to learn some new tricks in woodworking.

You're never too old to learn some new tricks in woodworking.

I had some dowels that were a little over-sized and normally I just run a little sandpaper over them. Recently, I threw them into the microwave oven for a couple of minutes and they fit like a glove.

I Built some smaller items with cherry and I didn't want to wait weeks, months...for them to turn a nice cherry reddish, brown. I got a "Natural" light bulb and set them under the light for 24/7....turn color very nicely. I hear it's the UV rays that do the work

May you all knew about these tricks but I sure didn't.

2. exactly thats the UV rays that turned the color.

You can get biscuits back to size in the microwave as well. The wood biscuits, not the flour ones.......

Cherry can also be aged quickly using a lye/ water solution.

What is the proportion of water to lye? a dumb question: "where can I get lye....never used it......thanks

You can buy Red Devil Lye with drain cleaning products. It comes as granules.

I start with about 1 TBS/ 2 quarts water. I dip a scrap piece of cherry and check the color. It is a really cool process - you dip the wood in this clear liquid and then over 5 minutes or so the color changes. Then add more lye or more water to make the result darker or lighter. Unlike stain, multiple coats don't change the results very much. This will raise the grain. I use grey abrasive pads to smooth after the work dries.

Be sure to wear rubber gloves, eye protection etc as the solution is caustic.

Henry, thanks for the microwave tip. I could've used that a few times!

Just for grins, I have been running an aging experiment on a piece of cherry. This piece has been sitting in the NM sun for a couple of weeks. It has darkened a little, but not as much as I expected. I think I will try a grow light next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks so much. Would the lye change the color of maple in any way. I could test it but it's easier to ask you. I'm making an end grain cutting board out of cherry and maple.

Much appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Anderson View Post
    Thanks so much. Would the lye change the color of maple in any way.
    I'm pretty sure no. I believe the lye reacts with tannins in the wood the same way ammonia reacts to fume oak. Maple has little or no tannin, so no reaction.

For cherry, potassium dichromate will give the same result and is safer: http://lumberjocks.com/alindobra/blog/20036

The only woods that react with extreme aging that I know of are cherry and sassafras.

The solution will slightly effect most woods. I use it to reduce the red in red cedar.

I don't think it is reacting with tannins as it has very little effect on oaks.

Anybody have a clue what might be present in cherry and sassafras exclusively?
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 03-22-2017 at 8:30 AM.