Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time turner-Chisel handles-help??

First time turner-Chisel handles-help??

Been a woodworker most of my life and thoroughly enjoy it ..Have never ventured into turning other than in High school shop class many years ago in my former life. Have fond memories of this but never pursued beyond that,
    Want to replace some simple chisel handles...Few weeks ago, I bought an inexpensive small lathe and tools for it..Also built a quick table to mount the benchtop lathe..Yesterday, I acquired and sawed some hardwood turning blanks for the planned handles.I also purchased and read a few beginners lathe books and learned some of the basics to help with my ignorance.

Are there some simple cardinal rules for a rank beginner (me)before he clicks the "ON" switch?
    The simpler, the better. I do not intend to make this a major part of my WWing but feel this is a skill I should learn.Besides, my chisels need new handles..(the cost per handle if I succeed will be HIGH)

I imagine the first rule will be SAFETY?!

Your tips, advice will be valued and appreciated.. Thank you,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    ...Want to replace some simple chisel handles...
    Jerry, are you asking how to go about turning a bench chisel handle? Do they have round shanks?
    Do you have a chuck? A Jacobs chuck for the tailstock?
    Do you have experience with spindle turning?

If you do not have experience with spindle turning, you should acquire that first. I learned from books and practice. Some prefer videos. The best is a mentor/instructor. There are many turning clubs across the country and all I've visited have experienced woodturners eager to help.

I haven't made bench chisel handles but I've made a lot of turning tool handles.
    I like to mount the block in a chuck, perhaps after turning it round.
    Drill a hole for the tool shank if it is round.
    Bring up the tailstock to steady the end with the hole.
    Turn the handle plus a tenon sized for the ferrule.
    Sand, finish, part off.
    Fasten the ferrule and fasten the tool into the hole.

If the handles you want to make are different, you might describe them and perhaps show pictures.

JKJ

info

John, thank you...These are simple socket type chisels.The is no tang involved....Relatively straightforward.
    This is a simple mini benchtop type lathe that I will use only for these handles, The 2 small chucks came with and I believe will handle a spindle turning..
    I just wanted to be sure there were no obvious pittfalls that I should avoid as I venture into this new to me aspect of WWing..Thanks
    Jerry

Are there some simple cardinal rules for a rank beginner (me)before he clicks the "ON" switch?
    Ride the bevel.

More important, in my opinion, is to do as John suggests.
    If you do not have experience with spindle turning, you should acquire that first.
    Do some practice handles with cheap construction grade pine or some such from the box stores. Nothing wrong with turning a pine 4X4 or 2X2 for practice wood.

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Ride the bevel.

More important, in my opinion, is to do as John suggests.

Do some practice handles with cheap construction grade pine or some such from the box stores. Nothing wrong with turning a pine 4X4 or 2X2 for practice wood.
    Both great suggestions BUT:
    what does "ride the bevel" mean?
    And can a pine fir 2X4 handle the force of spinning, turning for practice??

Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

what does "ride the bevel" mean?
    And can a pine fir 2X4 handle the force of spinning, turning for practice??
    Jerry,

Many experts have honed their turning skills on cheap construction lumber. Fir can sometimes be a little "bumpier" than white pine or something like soft maple or cedar, but it will work fine. One of my favorite books has a set of spindle turning exercises based on blanks cut from 2x4s. I have to go move the horses now but I can stop in the shop and find the reference if you want. BTW, I've encountered a string of expert turners and authors who say the same thing - learning spindle turning first will teach you the fine tool control that will let you turn anything. When I introduce a new turner to the lathe the first tool in their hand is a skew chisel - a few minutes of that will teach the basis behind all other cutting tools. I'm surprised at the number of people still afraid of the skew even after years of turning. I believe it's like my piano teacher always said - "everything's easy once you know how."

"Riding the bevel" or "bevel rubbing" is the technique for fine tool control. While the tool rest firmly supports the tool shaft, the bevel is held in contact with the wood, supporting and controlling the edge as it cuts a fine shaving. You make small adjustments with the hand holding the tool handle to make heavier or finer cuts. This is the way to get both fine detail and smooth curved surfaces that need very little sanding. Bevel-rubbing is akin to whittling with a pocket knife to remove long, fine shavings.

The opposite of bevel-rubbing is when you push the cutting edge directly into the spinning wood, usually at nearly 90 deg to the surface. This is called "scraping". Scraping can be a crude way to remove wood compared to a bevel-rubbing cut. Scraping can leave the surface rough with fibers pulled out instead of sheared off. If bevel-rubbing cutting is like whittling, scraping is more like using a rasp to shape wood.

However, scraping can be an effective technique for removing a lot of wood quickly, especially on things like the inside of a bowl or inside a hollow form (where riding the bevel is impractical). Inside a bowl, aggressive scraping is best followed by bevel-rubbing finish cuts. Some tools can be used in both the bevel-rubbing and scraping modes - very light "shear scraping" with the wings of a sharp bowl gouge can clean up both the inside and outside of turnings.

Do you ever get to East TN? If so, stop in for a day of turning play and instruction and go home with a chisel handle or two made from beautiful woods. (I have some teens coming tomorrow afternoon for just that - except for the chisel handles!) The fee is high - bring an interest in turning and some good conversation.

JKJ

Some great books

Jerry,

I checked my bookshelf and these are my favorite books for teaching techniques. Note that the techniques they teach apply to all woodturning, whether on a small lathe or large, making chisel handles or pens or table legs. When turning your handles, you may decide you like woodturning and want to make more - it that case you will be so far ahead learning effective techniques now!

My favorite:
    "Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Mike Darlow. Full of excellent photos and diagrams. Mike is on the technical side and will explain both the how and the why behind it.
    Chapter 4 is about tools, bevels, and cutting.
    Chapter 6 is Spindle turning.
    Starting on page 113 (112 in newest revision) are instructions for turning a basic tool handle.

Excellent book:
    "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan
    Chapter 6 is Center Work.

Also excellent:
    "Woodturning, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley
    Chapter 6 is Turning between Centres.
    He covers "bevel rubbing" very effectively in Chapter 5, Law 3 in his six Laws of Woodturning

https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-.../dp/1565233557
    https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-.../dp/156158956X
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-F.../dp/1784940631

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Jerry,

I checked my bookshelf and these are my favorite books for teaching techniques. Note that the techniques they teach apply to all woodturning, whether on a small lathe or large, making chisel handles or pens or table legs. When turning your handles, you may decide you like woodturning and want to make more - it that case you will be so far ahead learning effective techniques now!

My favorite:
    "Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Mike Darlow. Full of excellent photos and diagrams. Mike is on the technical side and will explain both the how and the why behind it.
    Chapter 4 is about tools, bevels, and cutting.
    Chapter 6 is Spindle turning.
    Starting on page 113 (112 in newest revision) are instructions for turning a basic tool handle.

Excellent book:
    "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan
    Chapter 6 is Center Work.

Also excellent:
    "Woodturning, A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley
    Chapter 6 is Turning between Centres.
    He covers "bevel rubbing" very effectively in Chapter 5, Law 3 in his six Laws of Woodturning

https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-.../dp/1565233557
    https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-.../dp/156158956X
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-F.../dp/1784940631

JKJ

John, THANK YOU....You educated me in these 2 posts re these initial concerns I had about turning...I ordered 2 of the books you reco'd and looking forward to reading those...
    I appreciate your effort and wish I lived closer and could take you up on your kind invite to visit...
    You have a wealth of knowledge and experience and you are willing to share,,,Again, my sincere thanks.
    I will use some scrap 2X material to test/learn..I'll try to learn the bevel rubbing technique....Looking forward to the new venture...I am in your debt,Thank you!!
    Jerry
    Jerry

Jerry, I think that watching a few videos on You-tube, would be a big help to you. It would show you what you need to do to be successful, and some of the videos show you what not to do. Type your question on what to do in the search header, and numerous videos on the subject will appear. You can them watch them all, or pick just a few to watch. Doing this will not be nearly as good as getting in touch with someone to teach you the right cuts, but it will help. Just remember, being safe, is being smart.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Jerry, I think that watching a few videos on You-tube, would be a big help to you. It would show you what you need to do to be successful, and some of the videos show you what not to do. Type your question on what to do in the search header, and numerous videos on the subject will appear. You can them watch them all, or pick just a few to watch. Doing this will not be nearly as good as getting in touch with someone to teach you the right cuts, but it will help. Just remember, being safe, is being smart.
    Len
    That's a good idea - some people learn very will from videos, at least they get an overview. I personally get more out of a good book since it can by nature contain MUCH more information. And with a book I can't flip back and forth, underline and make notes in the margins, and mark what I am studying with post-it note or something. And read it away from a computer.

One big problem with YouTube videos is there are some HORRIBLE videos out there. Sometimes I watch and cringe. How can a beginner know which is good and which is bad? The AAW has started a web listing of videos that meet some standards.

http://aawvideosource.org/php/video_detail_view.php

JKJ

Did my first "turning " today to try out the machine and blanks,,,,I went slowly and enjoyed the process..As many have said, PRACTICE will teach you the turning regimen etc..Was fun, have my first handle roughed out and the socket measured and ready to turn...I see why you guys love turning..Thanks to all.
    Jerry

You're in deep doo doo now Jerry.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Len
    Len, you are right...You Tube great recourse for actually seeing the process...Much easier to learn that way..Then doing it yourself completes the learning..Thanks
    Jerry

Plunged in.. My results

HERE are my clumsy attempt results at chisel handles..The first 3 finished...Found the critical part is the exactness of the socket fit,,,Feel free to critique, Pics below:
    Maybe your ideas on finishing too....Thanks

2017-03-21 15.31.56.jpg2017-03-21 15.31.52.jpg2017-03-21 15.31.47.jpg
    Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Here's a tip on getting the socket fit correct. Take some light gauge aluminum foil and jam it into the socket with a small dowel. Be careful not to rip it up too much. Leave a bit hanging out as a handle to remove the foil or use a screw to extract it.

Now you've gat a model of the taper you need to turn. It doesn't need to be perfect - just good enough to establish the angle.

I actually got this published in PW a while back in the tips section.
    RD