Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop journals

Shop journals

I would think most of us have some kind of shop journal. For a long time I never kept one and that was a mistake. I find it invaluable having kept shop journals for the past 10 years or so. I often need to go back and check how I did something, what kind of finish I put on that bowl or furniture piece,where I got that wood or tool from, etc. I find now that it has evolved into somewhat more than a shop journal as I like to occasionally record thoughts of the day or things that are going on in my life (good and bad!). Mind you it is still mainly a shop journal! I would just be interested in people's comments about the value and nature of their shop journal. And maybe it will encourage those new to the woodworking hobby to start one!

I do not keep a journal, but should!

Too many times I find a jig of some type and cannot remember what I made it for!

Great idea.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have a spiral note book that I keep notes and sketches in. It is a convenient way of keeping info and being able to find it later. I go thru about one notebook a year.

It works forme.

I've never kept a shop journal but in the last couple of years I sure wish I had. I can't tell you how many times I would love to refer to construction details, finish, size, etc. on an older piece I built.
    Wood'N'Scout

I also use spiral notebooks. I keep one in a cover that has pockets for calculator, pen & pencils and my receipt book. I take it with me when I go to measure for a job and use it in the shop daily. I know if I write something in the notebook I will be able to find it later.

I have used this method for 40 years and I'm on my 6th book. The previous ones live on a shelf in my shop for reference.

I've been keeping a lot of journals, but in digital form on my computer. I have set up a number of FileMaker database layouts that have evolved greatly over the years. I have one for my workshop, house, autos, and my studio teaching business. I keep the files on Dropbox so I can access them from any of my Macs, iPhone, iPad, etc. I have found it absolutely invaluable over the years. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered exactly how I did something in the past, and I'm able to look it up and remind myself. You do have to be quite meticulous with all the data entry. Being somewhat anal retentive doesn't hurt either.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

Thank you for posting this David.
    I normally save some notes on a process. Its on scratch paper attached to some part or pattern from something I've made.
    The journal idea is great. Everything in one notebook!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I bought a hardbound notebook just for that purpose. Too many times I complete a project and a couple years later don't remember how I did something, what stain or finish I used. Now I just have to remember to move it from my office in the house to the shop where I can use it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David,

Interesting question. I have kept a journal for more than 15 years on my computer. I kept notes on operations, reflections on the process of learning, and descriptions of projects. While I think that this much detail is probably unusual, and due to my enjoyment of writing, I have wondered if others kept a journal. I look forward to reading the comments that you (we) get.

Anyway, after about 10 years I decided to put it into a book. That took another 5 years more or less. I'm not interested in commercializing it, at least not at this time. It was just another project of craftsmanship. It is available on the web as an Acrobat file at http://plaza.ufl.edu/chepler for anyone who would like to see it.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 03-26-2017 at 6:20 PM. Reason: correct error

In the fall of the year when the school supplies go on sale, I buy 10-20 of the thin folders. These folders are not much thicker than poster board; there are no rings or anything to fasten paper to. I typically include plans, cutlists and other details in it. Each project has its own folder. The folders cost about $0.25 each but in the fall can be had for $0.10 or so.

I need to start. I too have have reached that age where I can't remember what I did to a project, particularly finishing schedules. At the time I built them I remember I'd think about writing it down but then tell myself I'd remember. Not a chance.

Great topic David!
    In my former life as a custom home builder I kept one notebook per job along with every scrap of paper generated...subs, suppliers, materials...when, where, why, how (and a few wood scrap comments/measurements that got transferred to paper), conversation notes with the homeowner. I kept everything! Didn't have to access it very often but on the rare occasion it was invaluable! I still have that 4 drawer file cabinet FULL.

Now in my semi-retirement cabinet shop I keep a spiral notebook as others have mentioned. Two actually. One is plain notebook type with job info...customer contact info, site measurements, pricing, etc., and the other is a spiral bound graph paper with shop drawings (I still like my hand drawn plans better than confuser drawn) and production notes. Even then I find things I wish I'd written down.

I've found that writing things down is a great way to keep track of.............what were we talking about?

I keep a spiral notebook handy for rough notes, to-do lists, and so on. I also keep a project file on each piece I build. Estimates, sketches, shop drawings, receipts for materials, and generally several pages of handwritten notes. If it's a big enough project I'll usually type them up on the computer and put a hard copy in the file folder as well.

When I'm doing project notes, often I'll come up with something regarding a construction or finishing detail I'll use over and over, or a mistake to avoid next time. Those go in the spiral notebook and eventually they get typed up and printed out, too. The manila folders go in hanging files in a little two drawer filing cabinet in my shop, along with all the manuals and paperwork on my tools and equipment.

I keep a notebook. I mostly do woodturning so it is focused on that. For example, in it I traced and sketched 50 variations of a special type of turning along with the type of wood and finish of each. It has a page or two for every interesting woodturning demo I've attended, both from famous and not-so-famous turners. I keep contact info there, material resource info, etc. I make sketches of special tools I find people using so I can make them myself. This one is almost full.

For this I like unlined white sketching paper in a spiral binding, rather thick so it's not flimsy on the knee.

Once I lost it and was devastated. The good lord sent an angel to return it to me. Life is good.

I have two others that are more of a rough sketchbook. They have odd notes, scratch calculations, etc. If it evolves into a really good idea or I develop and make something sketched there I add it to the other book. One is lined paper, one is a notebook of engineering sheets printed with graph paper on the back that shows through discreetly on the front. My favorite paper.

When I was working I kept a journal/log with a record of every telephone conversation I had, date, time, person, phone #, notes. So, so useful even years later. Another one with project notes. This may all sound like I might be obsessively organized. One look at my shop, barn, and garage will dispel any such misconception.

JKJ

I'm not a journal type of guy. I have enough things in the garage that I can't find when I need them. I don't need another.