Thread: New Vice Mounting Question

New Vice Mounting Question

Hi,

I have a very nice old bench - a Diefenbach, that I bought about 15 years ago when I just started to get into WW. I love the bench - it is all European Beech and is as solid as a rock. I am not so crazy about the front vise however. It seems very slow to open and close - no quick release obviously, but the screw size on the main shaft seems too fine for a vise, and I spend my time cranking that damn thing in and out. To remedy this I bought a Wilton 79A Woodworking vise to mount on the front of the bench. This is a really nice vise, that provides quite a bit of flexibility with quick release action, an articulating vise face, a full length pop up dog in the outer face, and other features. The best feature is the very beefy build - this thing is solid!

I am trying to figure out how I want to mount this thing. Do I relieve part of the front face of the bench to allow the back plate of the vise to site even with the bench front, or do I leave the existing bench untouched and mount it proud. Do I alter the bench, or do I live with the stand off and adapt how I work to the new position of the vise. I am leaning toward routing out the front apron of the bench and fitting the vise to be flush with the front. What do you think? Anyone done the opposite and let the vise stand proud? What are your regrets and advantages of installing that way? I would really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

Obviously I don't know the details. If the question is to rout or not to rout (flush or proud front) if it were mine I would add a fascia board to the front so that the vise was flush without the need to rout the bench. That's what I did with mine when I changed vises.

Doug

Whether you do it by adding material or taking it away from the bench a vice is much more useful if the face is flush with the apron.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.