Thread: Cutting Board Finish

Cutting Board Finish

I just finished an end grain cutting board. This was my first attempt at cutting boards and it turned out beautiful. I used purpleheart, rosewood, walnut, cherry, sapale, and a few other exotics. As I said it turned out beautiful. I made a mineral oil and beeswax concoction to put on it, but first I drenched it with straight mineral oil. That darkened the whole project. It stills looks good, but not as brilliant as it did before I conditioned it.
    Did I do something wrong, or is this just the nature of using mineral oil?

Its the nature of oil, Steve. You've done everything right :-) It will lighten up again as the oil dissipates, which means its time to darken it again! Feed frequently for the first month and then once a month afterward. On a side note, the natural color of wood when first machined is going to change anyway due to ageing and UV - some faster than others

Thanks Andy. That's reassuring to hear.

I've used a number of things on my cutting boards and wooden utensils over the years - straight mineral oil, stand oil, oils mixed with beeswax, etc. Last year, I found OSMO Top Oil which has been a real pleasure to use. It is a "food safe" oil/wax blend that hardens over a couple of days to a protective finish. They originally developed it for countertops. You apply it like an oil finish - flood the surface, let it sit, and rag off the excess in half a hour. It can be freshened up with a new coat of Top Oil, just like an oil finish. And it doesn't darken woods like most oils. Great stuff.

Odie's Oil is also a good choice for cutting boards and wooden utensils. Food safe and the surface can be refreshed with a new coat.

I use whatever cooking oil is handy in the kitchen at the time, usually olive oil. Cheers

I use osmo top oil and howards mineral oil wax. Both look good. For friends I use howards and for personal use or family I use osmo. Its just easier to tell friends to re-apply any mineral oil a couple of times a year. If I said osmo they'd be confused.