Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up Duct work with Super Dust Deputy

Carl, in terms of the DC, I use it for a combo machine (saw, shaper, jointer, planer) and router table only. None of these produce significant amounts of fine dust compared to a sander as you know. About all I can offer in terms of separation is I've filled the 55 gallon drum 4 times over the last 5 months. During that time I've collected about a cup of fine dust in the poly bag. After I clean off the filter with air this produces about 4 or 5 cups each time (have cleaned it twice so far). Your estimate of 1-2 cups per 30 gallons might be about right if I used a sander, otherwise its a bit high. I use a Festool vac for all my sanding jobs as I only use orbitals

Carl:

No sander, just table saw, jointer, router, planer. I did not knock the filter at all, so it's just bypass. I'd say it's less than 2 cups.

Thanks Guys. Based on your feedback and rough conservative calculations you both are getting identical separation of about 99.6%. This rivals most full size cyclones and beats most all of the mini portable cyclones!

Carl

Steve,

The fitting I used for the Dewalt 734 is commonly called a register boot. It's an HVAC fitting. It sits in the same place as the location of the Dewalt factory dust chute you can see in the photo. The Dewalt chute for the 734 attaches with thumbscrews over a slot on the outfeed side. and directs the chips into a 2" hose fitting to the side. As it happened the rectangular part of the register boot fit neatly over the slot on the planer. I just soldered up the seams to eliminate leaks and put in two tapped pads to take the thumbscrews. The upward turn in the chute keeps the 6" hose out of the way.

I looked at photos of the 735. I understand it has a fan augmented port that apparently can be fitted with something resembling the slot arrangement on the 734. Why, I have no idea, since it looks like it sprays the chips everywhere. If I were hooking up a 735, I think I would just use a tapered fitting that hooked to the factory provided port and my pickup hose. It looks like the port is no more than 2+ inches in diameter. Not really big enough, but may work just fine as is. Some machines just don't submit well to modification.

Hood-for-Dewalt 734-12.5-inch-planer.jpgDewalt 734 with factory dust chute.JPG

My cyclone has a 5" input port. I ran 6" PVC since I could get it cheap. At the dc I made an adapter about 18" long. I took a piece of 6" pvc, did the math to find the difference in circumference between 5 and 6(roughly 3.14") Then I cut a symetrical wedge tapering from a saw kerf to the needed width at the other end. I used hose clamps and heat to form it into a long cone. You need to have some parallel cut distance at each end to make the joints easy.
    It seems to work well with the bigger pipe. As long as the flow speed is adequate to keep the sawdust entrained and moving bigger is better with less friction losses.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    I am surprised that the local home improvement does not have longer 5" sections. If you are talking about HD and the like most offer the longer 26 gauge online and can have them shipped to the store. l
    Carl,

HD sells online a 6 in. x 60 in. pipe in 28 gauge. Is 28 gauge thick enough? Lowes doesn't sell 26 gauge in 5 foot lengths. I have not yet tried a local HVAC supplier.

Steve

Use 26 ga.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

With your blower you can use 28, but if you upgrade your blower you will want to use 26. If you do use 6" Menards sells all the 6" online in PVC fittings and pipe and there is no issue. I think a 10' 6" is $17.

Carl

Don't underestimate how well 4" PVC will work in a setup like yours. In fact it can work better when lifting Dust and debris UP from the machine to ceiling mounted ducts. Especially if the actual ports on the machine are limiting the intake CFM.

You can also find a 4" PVC drain pipe to 4" PVC Schedule 40 adapter for a few dollars at most any Hardware store. This fits the intake on the Dust Gorilla very well. You can take this (or any PVC) fitting and dip the big end in a pot of boiling water for about 20 seconds and it becomes like soft rubber. You can EASILY slip it over the intake port for a perfect fit. This also works to slightly DECREASE the size of a 6" PVC drain pipe coupling on the top 6" output of the Dust Gorilla. This would be a problem if I ran more than 1 machine at a time, but I never do. With 1 machine I get GREAT CFM!

20170323_103447.jpg

Also for the Dewalt, with the internal fan on it I have never had a problem with the existing dust collection. I know its a 4" over a 2 1/2" opening but it moves an amazing amount of air. I would be very hesitant to change anything with it.

I actually use my Rigid shop-vac with a Dust Deputy and a 1 micron filter for sanding.
    Last edited by Steve Cowart; 03-23-2017 at 12:01 PM.