Thread: Saw blade noise

Saw blade noise

I learned a lesson yesterday.

A while back, I posted about putting a new blade on my 12" DeWalt 7790 RAS. The old one was a DeWalt which lasted me a long time, but was getting dull. I had previously bought a new Onsrud (German) blade off E-bay at a ridiculous ($23) price, lotsa teeth, -5 degree rake, etc., so I put that on the saw. Since it was thin kerf, I used my 6" Forest stiffener that I had used with the old blade.

It was a screamer, it made so much noise I had to use ear muffs. After a couple of weeks I took it off the saw, even though the cuts were great. I put a different blade on and went on with life.

Yesterday, I was doing some routine maintenance, and decided to try the Onsrud again. Before putting it on, I noticed that the stiffener plate had covered about a third of the squiggle slots, meant to silence the blade. Hmm...could it be? Yup, it could. After installing the screamer blade WITHOUT the Forest stiffener plate, it was quiet as can be.

Lesson learned.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Ha...interesting story! Never have seen much of a need for stiffeners in conjunction with quality blades and a well tuned saw.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I also don't use stiffener plates as they don't do much if anything. I've also noticed that some blades make more noise when you switch to a zero clearance insert.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute