Thread: Wood identification help needed

Wood identification help needed

I've had this small piece of wood for a while, long enough to forget where I got it from. Its about four or five inches in diameter, very hard wood. I turned a small piece that I had cut off and it barely needed sanding. It has a sweet odor to it. Any idea what it could be? Is it possible its pecan? The reason I ask is I remember getting a piece of pecan last summer but I don't remember what I did with it.

P3120283.jpg

P3120289.jpg

I would guess, IMnsHO that at this point, it would be called "firewood".

Whatever it was, it doesn't look like it would be a good candidate for turning. The cracks in the end and side makes it look a bit dangerous for turning.

Firewood or how I got my wound.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I would guess, IMnsHO that at this point, it would be called "firewood".

Whatever it was, it doesn't look like it would be a good candidate for turning. The cracks in the end and side makes it look a bit dangerous for turning.
    I think it would be good for turning a mushroom....they look better with cracks and imperfections...

_MG_9532.jpg

Looks quite a lot like Buckthorn to me. Dense wood, twisted growth, close grain and a sweet smell while turning are all a fit for buckthorn.

Possibly mulberry or Osage orange?

Its definitely not osage orange. I was able to get six really nice pen blanks from it and since I don't turn pens I donated the blanks to the wood shop on base. They offer pen turning classes for the airmen and their families. They didn't know what it was either.