Thread: DIY Murphy Bed

DIY Murphy Bed

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum. I'm not a professional woodworker by any means. I do some woodworking on weekends for my household needs.
    Just wanted to post a few pictures of a murphy bed I made for our spare bedroom. This bed will be used about once every two months, so didn't want to spend too much on it. It's a full queen size.
    I didn't buy a kit or follow any online plans.
    There's a garage door spring placed horizontally at the bottom under the bed to help with lifting/pulling down.
    I used large 1-1/2" cam follower roller bearings for a pivot mechanism (ordered from Aliexpress - $20 for 2 - shipped to my door). Super smooth operation!
    The bed is held in place vertically in the unit with two neodymium magnets. I also installed a plunge lock on the side for extra security.
    The legs do not fold; they're bolted in place with a simple bolt and handle mechanism.
    Cheers
    Paul
    PS: Sorry. Can't figure out how to rotate the second photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dont know about Murphy beds but kinda an expert on Murphys law

M bed 1A.jpg

Wow. Want to explain that garage door spring thing with a little more detail?

Welcome to the creek Paul.

I agree with Jamie, would love to see pics of how you did the spring arrangement. A Murphy bed is on my extended list.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I used this spring force calculator to figure out the right size: http://www.acxesspring.com/extension...culations.html
    Ended up using what's considered a 180lb garage door spring.
    In my first attempt, the spring was cut in half which gave about 250lbs of force at 12" of travel. That was a perfect counter-balance. After a few test runs, I wasn't comfortable with that much force so I just reattached the two halves with a ring. That gave about 120ish lbs with 12" of travel. Even though it's not a perfect counter-balance, it still helps alot.
    The big drawback with my system is that, when pulling the bed down, the spring only starts to help when the bed is at about a 60 degree angle (90 degree = fully vertical; 0 degree = fully horizontal). That didn't really bother me because there isn't much weight to push/pull between 60 and 90 degrees. You could probably re-design the system and make the spring assist you all the way.
    Also, I probably could have simplified the mechanism in the corners by using a pulley block. However, I had already ordered the bearings that you see (from Aliexpress - not expensive) so I just went with that.

Spring 1.jpgSpring 2.jpgSpring 3.jpg

A few pics of the leg system. Very sturdy.
    Top corners are removable and are held in place with a magnet when the bed is not in use.
    The legs attach with a bolt in the middle. I glued a piece of wood to the bolt to make a handle.

Legs 1.jpgLegs 2.jpgLegs 3.jpg

Pivot mechanism is a cam follower roller bearing. I had never heard of this type of bearing before this project.
    The bearing goes through 3/4" plywood. The plywood is sandwiched by two steel washers epoxy glued to the plywood.

Cam roller bearing.jpgBearing.jpg

That's a fine engineering job. Simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Marion View Post
    The big drawback with my system is that, when pulling the bed down, the spring only starts to help when the bed is at about a 60 degree angle (90 degree = fully vertical; 0 degree = fully horizontal). That didn't really bother me because there isn't much weight to push/pull between 60 and 90 degrees. You could probably re-design the system and make the spring assist you all the way.
    That's not a bug, it's a feature...wish mine worked that way.

I built one back in 2000 with a kit from Rockler using pneumatic cylinders that, as you phrase it, assist all the way. When pulling it open, getting enough leverage to compress the cylinders is a bear until it gets out to 60 degrees or so and the platform's weight starts to kick in.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have to say a great design. Though you may never have it break, I would still put a safety cable through the springs. When used on a garage door, the bar that runs through it provides this if it breaks to the springs. These are much safer than the side springs. Otherwise, I may steel your ingenious design for my Son's bedroom, when he goes off to college. Dan