Thread: How to round over end grain

Question How to round over end grain

I've got a small piece of walnut (about 1/2 x 3/4 in cross section) that I'd like to round over. Something about a 1/4 in radius. I've got a hollow with that radius, but I've never run across any uses of them going across the grain. My experience also suggests using a block plane isn't a good approach either. I'm thinking using a file is the way to go. Other thoughts.

End grain is easy to round over with a plane if you angle the plane about 45 degrees to the vertical and work from the side to the top. If you start with the ends when you round over the sides (long grain) you can take care of any spleching if any.

BTW, I keep a small shop made wood stock plane just for that use....very lite and easy to use in any direction.

ken

Blog Entries
    I use a small block plane to get the shape, then sand with 400 - 600 to help the finish not absorb too much.

GnG Low CoD (202).jpg . GnG Low CoD (245).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't have a lot of experience with spokeshaves, but my my Veritas low-angle spokeshave leaves a nice polished cut on endgrain; I've been rounding over some walnut with it. I expect other low angle shaves would be good choices as well.

Any sharp blade will cut end grain, so the range of plane is theoretically wide. However, if the section is small, a low angle block plane will be easiest to use. Smooth off the cuts with either a rasp and/or file, or sandpaper.

Regards from Perth

Derek

File or plane, cut from the outside edges toward the center of the piece so you don't break off the edges. I like to get a roughly 45 degree chamfer first, then round that over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    ... I like to get a roughly 45 degree chamfer first, .....
    ...then plane the corners off that, then plane the corners off that, then plane the corners off that.

Thanks all. I got back out to the shop and did the job with the block plane. Followed the advise, practiced on a couple pieces of scrap, then had at it. Worked well. I'm almost wondering why I was concerned. Well, I did learn some about doing this along the way. Again, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    Thanks all. I got back out to the shop and did the job with the block plane. Followed the advise, practiced on a couple pieces of scrap, then had at it. Worked well. I'm almost wondering why I was concerned. Well, I did learn some about doing this along the way. Again, Thanks.
    I often do that.... I fret about it for a while, then a "simple" solution is suggested and I smack my head. Not having done this myself, I too would probably have asked.