Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna 14/12 blades keep breaking

I bought a magnetic LED light that I have on my Laguna and when I tension the blade I turn the light on. I don't turn it off unless I release the tension on the blade. The light makes a great reminder.

Yes... 2 good lessons in here I learned the hard way..

Take the tension off the band when you are done cutting.
    Dont cut curves with resaw and low tooth bands.

My problem is forgetting to tension the blade when I go to turn the saw on. I'm hoping that I've broke myself of that oversight.

At any rate, I was playing around with the saw again. I needed to make a small resew so I went ahead and put the RK blade on and tensioned it towards the top end of the 3/4" setting on the scale. It was doing the whole ticking thing during the cut along with little stripes when examining the cut with a light off to the side.

I noticed that the blade just didn't really feel as tight as I might expect so I went ahead and increased the tension significantly. Although the tension gauge is well into the red, I still have some space between the coils of the spring. The thing is, from my preliminary testing it looks like the ticking/stiping is gone.

Could it have been a lack of tension all along that was causing my problem?

To avoid starting the saw without tensioning the blade I remove the little yellow lockout from the power switch, and stick it to the table with a magnet so that I have to insert the lockout piece when I get ready to use the saw again. Just glue a small magnet to the lockout piece.

I found out tonight that right now the tension gauge seems to be completely worthless. While I was changing blades I noticed that the gauge can be tensioned up to the 3/4"+ area even when there is no blade on the saw. I suspect something is binding in the upper wheel assembly causing the spring to get compressed prematurely.

Maybe this weekend I'll start taking stuff apart and see what happens.

The best thing I did was to measure the actual tension. I have an older Jet 16" and to my surprise the gauge on the saw was very close.

I followed the suggestions of an earlier thread and used my digital caliper attached to my blade.

My previous bandsaw was a Craftsman 12" and in 30 years the only time it was de-tensioned was to change the blade. When I got a new saw recently it is the first for me with the tension lever. I was afraid that I would start it up with the tension off as well so I printed this out and glued it onto a piece of wood and put a rare earth magnet on the back. Now when I go to use the saw it's staring me right in the face. When the saw is in use I just stick it on the back above the tension lever so I see it when I de-tension and remember to move it to the front....

CAM00516[1].jpg