Thread: Hallway floor tile patterns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hallway floor tile patterns

I have some 13 and 1/4 inch square ceramic tile that I'd like to have a contractor set in a hallway. However, three tiles across falls just short of spanning the width of the hallway, even using "fat" joints between the tiles. What's good tile pattern for the hallway that doesn't require a large amount of labor to set?

The tile will also be used to make a tile baseboard along the hall. I'd prefer a design that does not have a joint going exactly down the middle of the hallway.

A diagonal pattern would look fine, but I have the impression that it requires a lot of labor.

Have you considered a "Penrose" pattern? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_tiling
    If nothing else, it puts into perspective the relatively trivial amount of additional labor that diagonal pattern might require.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

In the same situation, I placed tile in the condominium on a 45 degree diagonal pattern. Every person who looked at the condominium when it sold commented on how much they loved that look. I also clipped every other corner of the main tile at 45 degrees to put in small dark contrasting "squares" for accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I have some 13 and 1/4 inch square ceramic tile that I'd like to have a contractor set in a hallway. However, three tiles across falls just short of spanning the width of the hallway, even using "fat" joints between the tiles. What's good tile pattern for the hallway that doesn't require a large amount of labor to set?
    Stephen
    A diagonal pattern would be no problem for a professional tile setter. They're actually pretty easy to do, and as with all things, there is a jig, and a technique, to make the 1/2 cut size tiles.
    You'd be stunned at how fast a professional can cut and lay tile.

If this is a project you are doing yourself, check out the John Bridges Tile Forum. Extremely helpful site. John also has a book for "beginners" that is a very valuable resource to have around for the DIY'r. Much better than any of those books in a big box store.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-19-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The diagonal,"lozenge", pattern is nice and more formal. More expansive,I much prefer it.

The diagonal pattern was slightly more labor to lay, about 15% or 20% more but it was very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The diagonal,"lozenge", pattern is nice and more formal. More expansive,I much prefer it.
    This. The diagonal pattern will make the hallway appear wider.

Another option is to find a trim tile or 12x12 sheets of small squares to cut into strips. They can be used as a border to make up the shortage in width. It can look like there is a carpet runner in the hall. Lots of options.

Diagonal is the way to go. Will make the hallway look longer too. I did my shop floor this way and it was easy. a floor guy will make it look even easier.

John T.