Thread: Different 240V plug

Different 240V plug

Looking to purchase a Grizzly G0656W jointer, which is 240V, 12 Amps and requires a minimum circuit of 20 Amps. Jointer plug is a 6-20 plug. I already have a 240V circuit in my shop - it is a 30 Amp circuit I installed when I got my table saw. The only receptacle on this circuit is a L6-30, which fits my table saw.

What would be the best way to hook up this jointer to the 240V circuit:

1) Get a L6-30(male) to 6-20(female) adapter (if such an adapter exists in this male-female configuration)
    2) Install a new 6-20 receptacle in series with the L6-30 receptacle.

BTW, the devices will never be running simultaneously.

Thanks.

I would either replace the jointer plug with an L6-30P or make up an adapter (like a very short extension cord) with an L6-30P at one end and a female 6-20P at the other and a section of 12 wire in the middle.
    Ed

1) I'm not sure such an adapter exists, but as Ed says, you could build one with a short length of cord.
    2) You definitely do not want two receptacles in SERIES. You could put a 6-20 receptacle in parallel with the existing 6-30.

But the best option would be to remove the 6-20 plug on the jointer and put a 6-30 plug on it. There is no harm in oversizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    1) There is no harm in oversizing.
    Oversizing is acceptable per code also. I always use plugs rated for 20 amp even on circuits with 15 amp breakers.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks for the responses.

So since I'm not an electrician, let me make sure I'm getting this concept: I can replace the 6-20 factory plug on the jointer with a 6-30 plug, and since the electric motor on the jointer will only draw the load that it requires for the job at hand, I don't have to worry about too much electricity going into the motor.

Is that right?

Correct, the motor can only draw so many amps regardless of the breaker size.

The 6-20 is only rated for 20a, so it can't be on a 30a circuit.
    An adaptor would work, but replacing the plug would be cheaper and more elegant.

George, I don't know of a code preventing it, but putting a 20a outlet on a 15 line is not good. It allows plugging a 20a load in; if you are lucky it will trip the breaker.

Yep. Cut off the plug and install a l6-30 plug.