Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor

Air compressor

We are at the Oregon Symposium, the air compressor they are using for the demonstrators is amazing. What is amazing is we don't hear it! We've been wanting a new one and looks like this might be it.

California Air Tools 100-20C
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I bought one of those for my son for Christmas. Amazing how quiet they are.

I have a California compressor and usually can't hear it running most of the time. Really love how quiet it is.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

4. I got one earlier this year and love it. My shop is in my basement and my wife complained about the noise of my old one and the dog barking all the time because I'd it. Now...Happy wife and dig too.

I've had one of these for about a year now and I find that I don't dread my compressor cycling on anymore, if fact, I don't even notice when it does come on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been singing their praises for a coupe of years now. I have a 5510se I got for under $130 shipped using one of the 25% off Zoro coupons they send out fairly often.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My Bench grinder is louder than mine!

I really like the newer quiet compressors. I bought a rolair jc10 a couple of years ago and it has been great. It is made in China and you likely win some/ lose some in Quality. California Air uses the same design and are also made in China (motor and pump look the same for the Rolair and California air, could be made in same factory).

Thomas (made in usa) compressors created the technology and are a very high quality compressor. 3 years ago, I bought the made in China version to try it out, I like it quite a bit. When it bites the dust, I will buy the made in USA Thomas air compressor.

Thomas Links
    1- 1/2 hp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oop_bw_c_x_1_w

2 1 1/4hp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oop_bw_c_x_2_w

I bought into the design for 2 reasons:

1) very quiet
    2) very low amp draw (8 amps). This lets me use the compressor on any circuit, often with a corded tool.

I plug in a small tank to the line when I have to use it with a framing nailer, that makes it easier to get work done. I would not want to frame a house with it, but for repair, or small projects it works great
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 03-23-2017 at 1:10 PM. Reason: add amazon links

I have one of the smaller CAT models and it is really quiet. I don't jump when it randomly decides to start up. It would work great at a symposium. Also, a quiet shop vac is nice.

Steve

The california air tools compressors sound really nice. But I do have to say that there's a huge gulf in terms of noise between cheap 120v compressors (whether oiled or not) and better 120v ones.

I recently got one of the harbor freight 29 gallon 120v compressors (with the belt driven pump, cage and fan) and it's orders of magnitude quieter than the old direct drive compressor I had. I don't know if there are published sound level specs, but you can sit right next to it while it's going full blast without it being unpleasant.

California air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    We are at the Oregon Symposium, the air compressor they are using for the demonstrators is amazing. What is amazing is we don't hear it! We've been wanting a new one and looks like this might be it.

California Air Tools 100-20C
    The California compressor is the only way to go, especially for a small shop. I just recently bought the 2 gal even though I have a 5 gal Makita, because I just got tired of the noise in my shop. I have never heard an air compressor as quiet as the California, and I have been in the construction business for 30 Years. I use the the California for blowing off dust and etc.
    Last edited by Joe Frank Porter; 03-23-2017 at 6:15 PM.

I went to the Amazon link above and lots of comments about how quiet it is but there were at least 3 reviews stating they had thermal events.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    .... California Air uses the same design and are also made in China (motor and pump look the same for the Rolair and California air, could be made in same factory).
    I do believe California Air says they are made in Mexico
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Ralph,

My data was off. I got my info a couple of years ago. I just called them, and they said the qc line pump and motor could be made in china or mexico. It was not set by product, they mix both. Like rolair, all products are tested in the USA before shipped out. At the price point, I would be happy with rolair or california air. When I bought mine, rolair was easier for me to get.

Take care, and thanks for the correction to my bad data. Sorry for not checking the current state of things before posting.

Michael

I was thinking about buying a compressor. What types of tools can be run off of the two gallon size linked to here? Anything needed for bowl turning it will not do? Thanks