Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    I was thinking about buying a compressor. What types of tools can be run off of the two gallon size linked to here? Anything needed for bowl turning it will not do? Thanks
    You'll need to check the CFM (cubic feet per minute) and the PSI (pounds per square inch) of the compressor you're considering and then compare those numbers to the CFM and PSI requirements of the air tools you would like to use.

I'm interested in a quite compressor for my shop, mainly to blow the chips out of hollow forms and vases. I have a larger Craftsman for bigger jobs, but I'm tired of the loud compressor in the shop. Will the 2 gallon tank supply enough air for that?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    I'm interested in a quite compressor for my shop, mainly to blow the chips out of hollow forms and vases. I have a larger Craftsman for bigger jobs, but I'm tired of the loud compressor in the shop. Will the 2 gallon tank supply enough air for that?

Jay
    Absolutely! That's mainly what I use my two gallon model for.

I contacted California Air Tools and asked if they had plans to make a larger capacity compressor any time in the future. They responded right away and said that later this year they hope to have a 2hp, 30 gallon compressor. No prices or other details, so I'm going to wait and see. My Sears 30 gallon compressor is pretty loud, and it would be nice to have something that I don't have to wear earplugs when it's running. I need a bigger capacity than ten gallon because I blow out my sprinkler system in addition to shop use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    I contacted California Air Tools and asked if they had plans to make a larger capacity compressor any time in the future. They responded right away and said that later this year they hope to have a 2hp, 30 gallon compressor. No prices or other details, so I'm going to wait and see. My Sears 30 gallon compressor is pretty loud, and it would be nice to have something that I don't have to wear earplugs when it's running. I need a bigger capacity than ten gallon because I blow out my sprinkler system in addition to shop use.

They actually have a 4hp 17 gallon now, it is about $1350 and 10.3 cfm @ 90. Their 2hp 10 gallon 5.3cfm @90 compressor is only $350 so I would guess the 30 gallon wouldn't be more than $500-600.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sorry, I meant to say a 30 gal upright model.

BUT! Man am I impressed with the 4hp model. I hadn't looked at it before. I like the automatic drain feature, and it would certainly have enough oomph to blow out my sprinkler system. I'm just blown away with how quiet the 2hp and 4hp are - I'd be thrilled with either one.

Looks like the model we are interested in is on sale at Home Depot until the 9th.....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Which model is that? (Need to find a supplier that doesn't charge tax)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Looks like the model we are interested in is on sale at Home Depot until the 9th.....

Good luck on avoiding the tax........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Which model is that? (Need to find a supplier that doesn't charge tax)
    Above in the thread the 100200C
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Another one that is super quiet is the Silentaire brand of compressors. But be prepared to spend more dollars.

Anyone know the difference between the 10020 and 10020C? Menard's has the 10020 model for $230 right now.

Mike

(edit - looks like the tank is larger diameter and shorter but anything else? I'm thinking of selling my bit 60 gal. 2-stage IR compressor and picking up this one. I once the IR a bit for HVLP finishing but now I have a dedicated Fuji system. Plus need space badly in the garage/shop.)
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 03-31-2017 at 8:44 PM.

Mike,
    Below are links to the two compressors on California Air Tools' site. it looks like the 10020 is a bit newer with a couple of minor changes (higher CFM at 40 psi and there's a blurb about low amp starts). I have the 10020C and so far it has treated me well. Much quieter than my 3 gal Kobalt I used to have.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...rs/cat-10020c/
    http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...ors/cat-10020/
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Mike,
    Below are links to the two compressors on California Air Tools' site. it looks like the 10020 is a bit newer with a couple of minor changes (higher CFM at 40 psi and there's a blurb about low amp starts). I have the 10020C and so far it has treated me well. Much quieter than my 3 gal Kobalt I used to have.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...rs/cat-10020c/
    http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...ors/cat-10020/
    Thanks for the reply.

I called them up to find out the differences between the 10020 & 10020C. Seems they received many complaints that users didn't like bending over to move the compressor around. The original design was made to easily fit under a workbench. The 10020C has a smaller diameter but taller tank, new handle design, and very small changes to the pump that minimally improves life.

I ended up purchasing one at Menard's. I originally fired it up when I just took it out of the box to make sure it worked and it was quiet but not as quiet as I expected from the reviews/videos. Then I noticed the inlet filters were in a bag. After installing them it is unbelievable how quiet this thing is. Thanks OP'er!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    and it would certainly have enough oomph to blow out my sprinkler system. I'm just blown away with how quiet the 2hp and 4hp are - I'd be thrilled with either one.
    I bought the 2 HP 220 volt version two years ago (10020C-22060) directly from California Air Tools as one of their scratch and dent models. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have half an acre with 10 zones on the sprinkler system (its a little overkill) and I have used the compressor to blow it down twice now. It works fine. Just runs a lot. It is now hooked up to piping in the shop and is wonderfully quiet...