Thread: DeWalt Portable Leaf Blower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DeWalt Portable Leaf Blower

I bought a DeWalt portable leaf blower and wanted to pass along my experience. Quick comment - I'm happy with it.

I have an electric leaf blower and it does a good job, but having to deal with the cord is a hassle. The cord limits where you can go (by length) and it's constantly getting hooked on something. So I wanted a real portable.

I chose the DeWalt because I have DeWalt power tools and I could share the batteries. The DeWalt leaf blower comes with a 5Ah battery and that gives me a good amount of time to get the work done. I can do my front and back yards on one charge but the battery is pretty much finished by then. I have two more 5Ah batteries so I switch them around. During leaf falling season (right now for our avocado trees) I'm blowing just about every day.

The portable is not as powerful as my electric but it gets the job done. The big thing is that I tend to use it more. Having to get out a long extension, lay it out, and pick it up after tends to discourage me from doing it every day.

It has a trigger lock that's interesting. With the trigger you can control the speed of the fan, and with the lock, you can lock it at any speed. While that's interesting, I always use it at full speed.

Anyway, it does the job and I'm happy with it - just wish it blew harder.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That's good to know, Mike. I use a cordless leaf blower, but not for leaves. I'm one of those that has a shop in a one-car garage, and it works great for blowing sawdust out of machines and off the floor at the end of the day. Just raise the overhead door and out it goes.

I can tell you what kind of blower NOT to get, and that's Black and Decker. Terrible battery life and, in my case, life in general. Mine lasted just past the one year warranty, then started the most god awful death rattle you've ever heard.

I've got the same DeWalt blower, love it! Works great for blowing out the shop.

FYI, I was having problems with it draining the battery when not in use.......turned out the lock lever was not 100% off, it allowed a slight power flow that would drain the battery in a few days.

Ed

+1 on the DeWalt 20v Max blower. I already had a 20V combo kit so when my old blower died, this was a no-brainer.

The cost of the blower was barely more than the cost of the included 5AH battery and charger if purchased separately.

I use it all the time both in the shop and in the yard. It's going on 2 years of service and hasn't let me down yet (knock knock).

?! This has to do with woodworking?

Blowing out the shop maybe?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    ?! This has to do with woodworking?

Blowing out the shop maybe?
    Yes. Two of the four posts above yours mention using it in the shop.
    Last edited by Fred Falgiano; 03-20-2017 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Content

It a toy - er, I mean tool - and I thought some people might be interested in it and in my experience with it.

I also use it to blow swarf out of my shop but that's not the main reason I bought it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    It a toy - er, I mean tool - and I thought some people might be interested in it and in my experience with it.

I also use it to blow swarf out of my shop but that's not the main reason I bought it.

Mike
    I bought the Kobalt one Lowes sells. 80v. Been pleased with it so far. It does get used around the house and to also blow swarf out of the shop, but I mostly take it to the golf course when I play in the fall to clear the greens of leaves that are falling. Much quicker than picking them up and I can clear everyone's line.