Thread: Chuck Berry and Johnny B Goode

Chuck Berry and Johnny B Goode

Chuck Berry RIP

How many bands over the years have made a cover of his song Johnny B Good.?

As a tribute post your favorite cover of Johnny B Goode Or any other Chuck Berry song.

Start it off with a cover from Judas Priest made for the Movie Johnny B Good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Be_Good

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I can't figure out how to post them Dave, but I'm aware of these artists who performed it on stage at least once: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Johnny Winters (blues), Gene Simmons (Kiss)

Another very favorite: Roll Over Beethoven (also performed by The Beatles and others)

Here's hoping that Mr. Berry joins that famous band the Righteous Brothers sang about in Rock-n-Roll Heaven. He inspired soooo many others. Not a bad legacy for a performer.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-19-2017 at 6:55 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That was awesome, thanks for posting. Made my afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I can't figure out how to post them Dave, but I'm aware of these artists who performed it on stage at least once: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Johnny Winters (blues), Gene Simmons (Kiss)

Another very favorite: Roll Over Beethoven (also performed by The Beatles and others)

Here's hoping that Mr. Berry joins that famous band the Righteous Brothers sang about in Rock-n-Roll Heaven. He inspired soooo many others. Not a bad legacy for a performer.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon

R.I.P.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

RIP to the architect of rock and roll, everyone after him stood on his shoulders.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Johnny B Goode was a staple for the Grateful Dead for the majority of their career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJzGXUy4OP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GROwVrF0Ceg
    Chuck Berry-Johnny B. Goode (Live 1958)-YouTube
    The Man, Mr Chuck Berry, Rest In Peace Chuck.
    Last edited by michael langman; 03-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.

I have always been amazed that this icon, with many hit singles and who is in the Hall of Fame, only had one #1 song.

In 1972 with "My Ding-A-Ling".
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I have always been amazed that this icon, with many hit singles and who is in the Hall of Fame, only had one #1 song.

Fats Domino didn't have a number one either, if memory serves me correct. "I was swimming across turtle creek, snappers all around my feet, I couldn't do a thing, cause I was busy holding on to my ding a ling."

Fat's Blueberry Hill only reached #2 on the 1956 Top 40, but was #1 for 11 weeks on the R&B chart (or so says Wikipedia).
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Recently saw an interview of Berry. He said he never once touched drugs. The guy interviewing him (can't recall his name) found that unbelievable and tried hard to draw him out on that fact, but Chuck Berry stuck with his statement.
    It does seem a bit unusual. Wonder how many made it even part of the way to the top of rock and roll without drugs.
    He difinately raised the bar....a couple of notches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1LZuQ9E4JQ

Blog Entries
    He Dave, the guy in the 2nd video you posted's got his guitar upside-down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GROwVrF0Ceg
    Chuck Berry-Johnny B. Goode (Live 1958)-YouTube
    The Man, Mr Chuck Berry, Rest In Peace Chuck.
    Bad link, Michael. Please repost.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post

I agree but Jimi maxed out at #20, The Who at 9 or 10 and Led Zeppelin never got higher than 5, maybe 4. As much as I hate to have to say it Berry also had to deal with the racial component involved in selling records for much of his "hit making" years. Plus charting history doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to staying power and importance of music look at arguably the most famous rock song of all time, Stairway to Heaven which I think topped out in the high 30s (admittedly never released as a single) but still.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.