Thread: Duct work upgrade

Duct work upgrade

I've had one of the 2HP Grizzly cyclones for about 7 years now. When I got it I cobbed together an economy duct system from Home Depot parts. Lots of adjustable 90's and the occasional T, LOL . Anyway, it served it's purpose of moving hundreds of gallons of chips into the bin but it is not exactly airtight.

Time for an upgrade...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ordered some Nordfab type ducting and went to pick it up at the fabrication shop on Friday.

Pretty comical when I drove in with my compact cargo van. The sales guy told me the box size, 37*47*61, no problem. Yet, everyone in the office told me it wouldn't fit, multiple times <g>.

Yesterday I pulled down the old stuff and installed the new clamp together system. The original plan was to cap the run towards the bandsaw at the wye but I wound up with some extra parts so I ran that line across as well and capped it. I need one more 90 to come out of the rafter bay and I can finish the system off.

The end result was very nice, if you shut off all the blast gates the only flow is through the 2.5" tablesaw overarm guard. The system still sounds tight and flow at each machine must be double what it was.

Very nice!! I'd love to get that ductwork someday. It just looks so nice and easy to work with.

Beautiful installation and great quality product!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, install wise it was fairly easy to work with. The only part where I could have used some help was that first 90 off the main to turn down along the steel beam.

Hanging the new maybe 3 or 4 hours. Removing the old and hauling to the dump at least as long. Plus some more time to hookup each machine.

Blog Entries
    Those quick releases would come in handy if you need to remove offcuts that fall down the vertical wyes. Sweet.
    NOW you tell me...

Ole, and they seal "naturally"...no need to tape, either. The convenience comes at a price, but it's a well thought out system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...