Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I have my new table saw...

Now that I have my new table saw...

I need a jointer so my wood can be flat and squared up. Looking at the Grizzly G0656W, maybe upgrading to a helical cutterhead. I'd like to hear some feedback from folks who have jointers, even of other brands and models

Looking at the Grizzly G0656W, maybe upgrading to a helical cutterhead. Here's my thoughts:

Pros:
    -- 8 inch - I figure better to go ahead and bite the bullet on this one
    -- Will run on my existing 240V circuit (will need a replacement plug for the jointer though)
    -- Long table

Cons:
    -- More money than I have been considering spending on a jointer (budget was for $500-$800)

Thoughts?

I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Grizzly jointer last week. I ended up punting it down the road and picked up an older 6" Grizzly for cheap money off CL for now.
    I was looking strongly at the G0490 since it had the parallelogram bed, which has provision to make it a little easier to adjust to co-planer if necessary. Having said that, it's not too difficult to adjust with shims (outfeed table get's 'em) so it's not a big deal, it was the "minor" $100 difference that made my brain go "meh". I think you'd be happy with either one. Having used mine a bit with the lever height adjustment rather than wheels, I think I'd prefer to have wheels, which the G0656 has while the G0490 has the levers. I think the wheels would give better control while the levers are just "faster". So maybe it's a wash. Note that IF you have to use shims to adjust the beds to be co-planer (which ideally you shouldn't if they just made the thing right, but Murphy has a way) you should only have to do that once and you're done.

I looked at length at the helical cutterhead thing. My summary findings were that if they weren't available, then straight knives would be fine. But since they exist, the several benefits they offer are worth it even though it bumps the price up so much. This is based on tons of reviews and videos, which pretty much unanimously yell from the rooftops to bite the bullet and get the spiral cutterhead. So much so that even though I had a working 6" jointer from Craigslist home and snuggly in my shop, I immediately ordered a spiral cutterhead and installed it as soon as it arrived. I have to say, it is very, very nice compared to straight knives. The finish is great, it's quiet and I didn't have to get out gauges and set up three blades to a perfect match, which is just another thing keeping a guy away from cutting some wood.

The Shelix (Byrd) gets good reviews, but I also saw a few where the end user did not get good customer service for a problem. It's difficult to know the honest truth from otherwise, but it was there to find so I give it whatever value it seemed worth. Most people love their Shelix heads so...

There is some comparison of the standard Grizzly spiral cutterhead to the Shelix in terms of orientation of the inserts. Namely the Shelix is set so to make a shearing cut and the Grizzly hits the wood square-on. The verdict from the reviews I read all said that the Shelix might perform slightly better, but in the end the Grizzly does extremely well too. Oddly, what I found and bought was a spiral head from Grizzly which is not Shelix nor is it the standard Grizzly. It's similar to the Shelix in setup (with the shear angle insert orientation and convex insert face) but has one less row (4 rows vs. 5) of larger inserts with less space between them than the Shelix. And about a hundred bucks cheaper. (link to the one I bought)
    I am extremely happy with it.

Long story longer, from what I could find with a ton of searching, any of the spiral cutterheads available apparently perform similarly, all very well and all very much preferred over straight knives. It's worth the investment. Save up for it if you have to.

edit to add: Note that I am a fairly unexperienced woodworker. I am intimately familiar with working metal and comfortable assessing a machine and/or component, but if more experienced opinions differ from mine then give them their due weight.
    Last edited by Vinito Caleb; 03-19-2017 at 11:05 PM.

If you get a jointer with a HH head you will never learn how to set jointer knives.Or the joy of sharpening your own knives and the reward of that work.
    I have a Bryd head in my planer and knives in my jointer.
    Aj

AH -

That may be so. But I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to appreciate something more if it requires less upkeep/maintenance. And just as importantly, less upgrades down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    If you get a jointer with a HH head you will never learn how to set jointer knives.Or the joy of sharpening your own knives and the reward of that work.
    I have a Bryd head in my planer and knives in my jointer.
    Lol, I hope you are being sarcastic!

I'd save the money on the helical head for the jointer. All my lumber goes through the planer on both sides so the helical head would be moot for the jointer. If I had a pile of cash laying around I might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I'd save the money on the helical head for the jointer. All my lumber goes through the planer on both sides so the helical head would be moot for the jointer. If I had a pile of cash laying around I might do it.
    This has always been my opinion, too. Unless you are skipping the planning process I don't see the "need" for a helical on a jointer. Sure it would be nice but the planer makes more sense if only one.
    As far as adjusting, I maybe have adjusted my jointer once in the ten+ years I've owned it. Also a moot point for me.

I think if you were to have 1 it would be the planer. If you're buying a jointer, for the little extra cost I would do it and have a mind toward a helical planer in the future. I would love to, but in my case a 20" helical head for my planer is ~$900+.

I upgraded to 8" helical head about a year ago and never regretted it. The deciding factors for me were little to no tear out, less noise, no blades to sharpen or replace or reinstall. I have yet to rotate the cutters the first time and quite a bit of lumber has been through it.

If you only have a helical jointer, when dealing with wood prone to tear out, you can rejoint after thicknessing just leave it heavy out of the planer.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 03-20-2017 at 9:25 AM.

For what its worth. I recently picked up a Powermatic 54a 6 inch off the app Letgo. It is my first jointer and while quite a few ppl said buy an 8 inch I figured for $350 I could get my money back and but the 8 inch when the 6 inch really creates a problem. In my small amount of experience in acquiring tools I've realized that a lot of people think they want to be woodworkers and buy nice equipment only to realize a few years later they don't have the time and sell great equipment with little use. I will always look second hand for tools before I buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Green View Post
    For what its worth. I recently picked up a Powermatic 54a 6 inch off the app Letgo. It is my first jointer and while quite a few ppl said buy an 8 inch I figured for $350 I could get my money back and but the 8 inch when the 6 inch really creates a problem. In my small amount of experience in acquiring tools I've realized that a lot of people think they want to be woodworkers and buy nice equipment only to realize a few years later they don't have the time and sell great equipment with little use. I will always look second hand for tools before I buy new.
    One can do very well in the used market.

Blog Entries
    You guys and your helical heads. I remember back in the day when I was a shop teacher (drafting)... The woodworking guy tried to order a Powermatic 24" planer ever year with a 'silent head'. As I remember, it had a bunch of little blades instead of a few long ones. Anyway, every year he got turned down. One year, the thing showed up and he was over the moon. Then the Asst Superintendent showed up and sent it back. It seemed that he didn't press hard enough on the multipart requisition form when he drew the line through the order. I always thought that was just plain cruel. At the time, I think that planer was around $2K and included a grinder for sharpening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Newsom View Post
    AH -

That may be so. But I know myself well enough to know that I'm going to appreciate something more if it requires less upkeep/maintenance. And just as importantly, less upgrades down the road.
    For a real world example; my G0490X helical head premium paid for itself at about the 18 month mark based on my previous knife sharpening / replacing schedule. Factoring in that I recently bought a full set of inserts on a special from a provider that sells sets by Grizzly (and other) machine model numbers, I am still financially ahead. Oh, and I haven't missed setting knives at all ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Those who recommend against a segmented spiral head simply don't know the benefits. It doesn't matter how slow or careful you are. If you plane or joint figured wood, you are going to get tear out. There is no way around it. If you have a spiral cutter head, the problem will be reduced by maybe 90%. If you research enough, you will see that what I say is true.

The Bryd heads have their place in planer.I have the PM 15 HH but most of the time my wood is not curly knotty Barnwood and the surface the planer leaves takes more time to prepare for finishing if that's the side I need.
    I sold my 8 jointer with the spiral head and went back to straight knives.I couldn't be happier no more pushing down hard when I'm facing boards because the carbide inserts are not dull but not really sharp.
    I haven't seen anymore hit and miss glue lines on tables from the furrows rows inserts leaves.
    It does take time to accurately learn to set knives in a jointer.But it's a skill worth learning.
    Aj

15. You've gotten some great advice and a range of views on helical vs spiral vs straight knives. About 2 years ago I bit the bullet when Jet had a 15% off their woodworking tools and bought an 8" HH jointer and a 15" HH plane to replace a Ridgid 6" jointer and a Delta 22-580 13" planer. I couldn't be happier with the results. Both the Jet jointer and planer are much quieter than the Ridgid and Delta tools. (Bench top planers are notorious for being noisy.) Yup, it was a chunk of change but for my purposes well worth it. These are tools I'll keep for the rest of my life.