Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

20 Mar 2017

Good Evening / Morning,
    Getting an early start for the Weekend Accomplishments as I've got a pretty busy week ahead of me and I didn't want to forget.
    Many times, we plan and have good intentions on getting things done until life throws us a few things to change our plans and shifts our priorities to other things more important. I spent this past weekend helping the LOML put together dinner and dessert for my MIL's birthday as well as my youngest son's b-day. The MIL is now 78 and doing very well and living with us in her own apartment that is attached to our house. My youngest son turned 20 years old yesterday. He's come a long way and I'm thankful that his 2 suicide attempts were not successful in the previous years. What a blessing he still is to us today and even though I still help him deal with various stresses of depression, he's making great progress as compared to where he was just 2 years ago. I haven't done much woodworking over the last several years due to family and work, but I'm slowly getting things back together to do more woodworking once again. I just seem to be more tired now days that days in years past. I have found out that the older I get, the longer it takes me to get things done. I just can't seem to comprehend that I've slowed down that much....or has the world just sped up enough to make me appear slower.??

That's all from me for now, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm finally home from spending two weeks in central Florida dealing with health concerns for the 'rents. (my second trip in a month) No shop time, but I do have a somewhat urgent project coming to build a replacement upper cabinet for our kitchen to replace an existing unit after a little, um...problem...with wood munching insects is taken care of. My essentially one-day weekend was spent cleaning the range hood, moving the espresso machine, etc., from the area where the required work will be needed and cooking a delicious sous vide pork dinner for Sunday evening nosh...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Picked away at a couple of projects.
    Sanding and filling on the replacement steamer trunk tray..... realized I have to do a better job of containing/cleaning glue squeeze out UGH
    Little more prep work on the subwoofer box to get it ready for finishing
    Finally mounted my drill press on the mobile base I built.... its a lot more stable now..... of coarse I tweaked a muscle in my back doing it

I'm over the hump on my cherry-and-fir bookcase, having completed a full dry fit of the case and panels. I was satisfied enough with the fit and decided to jump right into applying an initial finish to the fir panels before final assembly. Based on the original designer's recommendations (this design came from FWW #161 - Cherry and Fir Bookcase), I decided to try my hand at applying a pure tung oil finish that I'll cover with paste wax after it's completely dry. I only applied two coats over the course of the weekend, thinning with mineral spirits first to about 50/50 and then the second time at about 75/25. I've kept the panels out of any direct light but the oil turned them much darker than I was expecting. The photo (second one below) was taken immediately after wiping off the excess of the first 50/50 coat, which didn't turn out too bad. But the second coat (not shown) really took the wood down a couple of shades more than I was expecting. This is going to make it a little tougher to get the contrast against the cherry that I was hoping for. I purchased a "ruby" dewaxed shellac from shellac.net that I was planning to use on the cherry. The "ruby" tone appears to be halfway between amber and garnet. But the test piece I did tells me I should have gone with the darker toned garnet flake. So, while I think further about what to do with the cherry, I've decided to move on to completing the shelves and top. But before I can get to that, I've got to get a jump on the yard--taking care of the Fall cleanup and Winter pruning that I can't put off any longer.

bookcase_Cherry-Fir.jpg cvgFir_wTungOil.jpg DougFir_wTung.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Picked up (Friday) and installed (Saturday) new clamp together duct work for the cyclone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weekend

I had a first go at making a shuttle for weaving. I cut out center with forstner bit, some chisel work, sanding drum, bandsaw, and router. After making this one, I'm thinking cutting a slice off the bottom, cutting out the opening, then gluing the bottom back on might work well, similar to making bandsaw boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_9331.jpgThis was a fun little project. Zebra, Bubinga, walnut, cherry scraps turned into something useful. Hock A2 cutting iron. 6.5" sole.

Well, Saturday was spent cleaning, (with my fiance out of town somebody has to do it) and then grilling for my grandson and his dads. We then watched the Badgers upset Villanova.
    Sunday I went to the workshop and cased out the windows. It had been a while since I was out there, and I needed to clean up some of the winter scraps, so I made some pieces of pine for my dovetailing tests. Trying to do a 'dovetail a day' sequence. (again)

I got my office taped and the first layer of mud on the joints and screw heads. A little sanding and some more mud and it'll be ready for primer and paint.
    It's so close to being done I can hardly wait!
    ~Garth

Made my 4 1/2 year old triplet grandsons some wood toy guns (and one for me of course).
    Had some old pine laying around and I traced my old Red Rider BB gun and got to work!
    Next year I will add the clothespins and turn them into rubber-band guns.
    snip_20170320040706.jpg