Thread: Coke Cola cans

Coke Cola cans

I remember a couple years ago Coke came out with Share a Coke and put peoples names on a label on the bottles. So I thought why not just engrave your name on a can . Well I tried and I can't do it with any decent results. I thought the cans were anodized Aluminum but I guess not. I tried many different speeds and power settings, I even tried that tape that was suppose to leave a black mark. All I ended up doing was burning a hole in the can LOL yep It did. So does anyone know how these cans are colored if its not anodized?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I tried to ask the same question in a different sub-forum awhile back. Never really got a straight answer, but the video links might help: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uot&highlight=
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

In my short search I can't find exactly how Coke prints their cans (think it's just paint) but I did find out Coors has been UV printing their beer cans for 42 years --
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    In my short search I can't find exactly how Coke prints their cans (think it's just paint) but I did find out Coors has been UV printing their beer cans for 42 years --

Coke can is ink with a varnish finish, which is then heated to cure. That's probably your culprit in not being able to do anything with the aluminum without destroying it.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I was experimenting with this Saturday night. Even the interior of the can has a coating of some type that must first be removed with steel wool or similar.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Funny I did a search here first but nothing came up.Thanks for the replies. Guess coke cans are out
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    I was experimenting with this Saturday night. Even the interior of the can has a coating of some type that must first be removed with steel wool or similar.
    The inside is varnished as well, to keep the acid in soda from eating through the can.

>>I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts<<

I have my doubt whether it would even stick to the paint but I have not tested to be able to say. Even if it did stick to the paint, the Cermark's permanence would not be any greater than the paints ability to stick to the aluminum and the paint scratches off pretty easily.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Dose the liquid in the cans absorb the heat

I don't think so LOL I burned a hole thru a full can and had coke pissin out all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Dose the liquid in the cans absorb the heat
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I can't burn the paint off with the laser wonder why that is??

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>I wonder if cermark would work over the color on the cans? Thoughts<<

I have my doubt whether it would even stick to the paint but I have not tested to be able to say. Even if it did stick to the paint, the Cermark's permanence would not be any greater than the paints ability to stick to the aluminum and the paint scratches off pretty easily.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Well, In playing with my new fiber, I can attest that I found settings that I can use on a Coke can!
    Not great, but it does cut thru a bit. coke.jpgcan.jpg
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    See Bert!! Now all you need is a 20Watt MOPA fiber and you too can join the lucrative Coke can customization trend that is about to start up! John will have Arkansas and Louisiana tied up, maybe even old Miss and OK????!!! You can have AZ and UT and perhaps the Intermountain area?!!! Billionaires!!!! I see it now!

John! It cut through just a bit? Seems like that might be enough on a full can? Sounds a bit like being a bit pregnant? <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Wow,David, you need to cut back on the soda a bit Either too much caffeine or too much sugar!

No, was just cutting on whatever was sitting still and I read this post.. just had to try!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others