Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auger bits

Auger bits

I recently purchased a brace at an antique market for very cheap. Mistake 1. Trying to use a forstner bit with it. Mistake 2 trying to use a brad point regular twist drill with it. A light was seen at the end of the tunnel. You need auger bits dummy.

Not sure what to look for on eBay. There is a modern set 1/4-1" by steelex. Instead of the odd tapered shank ending of the vintage auger bits these have hex shanks. Presumably for power drills? Would these work in my 4 jaw brace as they are priced better and a complete set.

I just want to hear some thoughts here. I get the whole "they don't make me like they used to." Worst case I buy these bits and end up using them with a power drill?

Thanks

Look for Irwin, Russell Jennings, Greenlee or Craftsman bits

You're looking for bits which, if not shiny, are at least not rusted to death.

Ideally, the bits should all be straight -- feel free to ask the seller before pulling the trigger. A straight bit rolls easily and predictably across a table top; a bent bit wobbles and meanders.

Ideally, the bits you buy will be sharp, but if not, they are easily sharpened using either a dedicated auger file, or any small file with safe edges.
    Tutorials on bit sharpening abound.

May want to contact Patrick Leach...I saw a set of Irwins on his last monthly email. If I remember correctly, they were just a bit more than the set you listed (~$85.) Just google his name.

I'm certainly not going to try to talk you out of getting a set of proper bits, but I want to point out that you can use both brad point twist drills and forstner bits with a brace - as well as anything that you could use with an electric drill or a cordless screwdriver. I do it all the time, and it makes the brace even more useful. BUT - you need a chuck like this one:

IMG_1403.jpg

EDIT: By the way, those hex shank bits might not work with your brace as is, but would definitely work with the combination of your brace and this chuck.
    Last edited by Mike Recchione; 03-20-2017 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Additional information:

+1 to Mike's comments, although I don't always change to another chuck.

Also can recommend Wood Owl auger bits, a little pricey, but they produce very fine holes....

Andy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Archi View Post
    I recently purchased a brace at an antique market for very cheap. Mistake 1. Trying to use a forstner bit with it. Mistake 2 trying to use a brad point regular twist drill with it. A light was seen at the end of the tunnel. You need auger bits dummy.

Not sure what to look for on eBay. There is a modern set 1/4-1" by steelex. Instead of the odd tapered shank ending of the vintage auger bits these have hex shanks. Presumably for power drills? Would these work in my 4 jaw brace as they are priced better and a complete set.

I just want to hear some thoughts here. I get the whole "they don't make me like they used to." Worst case I buy these bits and end up using them with a power drill?

Thanks
    Some braces were made to take round shafted bits some were not. Without knowing the model and maker it is hard to tell which yours is. It sounds like you didn't have any luck with regular bits.

Does your brace actually have 4 jaws? I am not familiar with such. Most have only two jaws.

You might find this of interest:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-About-Augers

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some braces were made to take round shafted bits some were not. Without knowing the model and maker it is hard to tell which yours is. It sounds like you didn't have any luck with regular bits.
    I have several Millers Falls braces with the Lion style chuck. All hold regular round shafted bits well. I have a set of auger bits and like them, so am not trying to talk you out of buying a set, but if you are just looking to make holes, a decent brace may be cheaper than a set of bits. Old tool heaven has drawings of the different models. If you look around the 770s, they are Lion style chucks, very easy to recognize. Pexto made a similar chuck they called the "Samson."

Blog Entries
    Buy a used brace on line and then the auger bits. I've bought two braces on line and they both are good.

Right. As many here mentioned - make sure you buy bits that fit the chuck on your actual brace. There are all sorts of different shanks that could be the right one...

Very little was standardized. Square, hex, octagon, round with wings; tapered variations of all these, etc.. Every brand had their own shank as a way of getting you locked in to buying their drills. Even "adjustable chucks" we're set up for their bits - like 4 jaw adjustable chucks made for various tapered square shank bits.

Then - on the bits themselves.. Bits for braces and egg beater drills were often made to cut a lot more aggressively than modern bits for electric drills. Many were what we would call augers today. The turning speed is very slow - and so they had to cut pretty fast and even self feed if you ever hoped to finish. On these sort of bits will often self feed like crazy on a modern electric drill

I've purchased a number of "antique" auger bits over the years and they are very hit-and-miss. And I had a lot of difficulty sharpening some of them because they had been mistreated - I certainly learned my lesson. Over the past two years, I've purchased a number of WoodOwl bits in my most-used sizes. I got mostly the Tri-Spur Smooth-Bore bits and one of the "Nail Chipper" bits. The Smooth-Bore are fantastic - they are sharp and accurate and can be used in an electric drill as well as a hand-brace. The Nail Chipper bits are also good, but are stronger and drill a slightly less smooth hole. I'm not messing with old bits any more... YMMV, of course!

Blog Entries
    Bits for braces and egg beater drills were often made to cut a lot more aggressively than modern bits for electric drills. Many were what we would call augers today.
    Twist style bits have different point angles. Bits for drilling wood have the most acute angle and bits for drilling masonry or metals will have a more obtuse angle.

Auger bits agressiveness have more to do with the pitch of the lead screw thread. Some are made to cut slow in hardwoods and those made for softwoods will have less threads per inch on the lead screw.

The thing to look for on buying auger bits on line is to make sure they have sufficient length on the spurs. I have bought quite a few auger bits from the auction site and have only received a few duds. They can still be used in places like the side of a tree or other work where my best bits are not sacrificed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Owl bits rock and work just fine in my Stanley 923 (I think) brace. If I want traditional auger bits, I have bit the bullet and bought the new ones from Joel and my limited use of both of those has been very satisfying.
    David

Blog Entries
    I inherited a full set of Irwin bits from my Father. They are 1960's vintage.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-4.../dp/B001HWQKFE

Yard sale season around here...and I basically trip over bits all the time....

Have noticed that the 3 jawed eggbeater WILL take normal, modern day round shanked drill bits. Most the the Barber chucked versions I have will also hold a round shank drill bit.

Have a nice set of Auger bits at the moment....plus a second 'New in Box" set that is about 50 years old...work just as fine now.

Scott,

A few thoughts. I have at least two or three sets of auger (probably 3, in some sizes maybe 5 or six individual bits or so) if you count all of the duplicates in the two or three sets I have (it depends on how you count the bits as sets, I have 3 tool rolls of auger bits.)

You have gotten some very good advise above.

I also did look on the fleabag auction site. If you buy on that site let the buyer beware. I like the vintage sets I have, but look at the bits carefully, or the pictures carefully if at the auction site. My advise would be:

1. look at the business end of the bits carefully, as Jim pointed out. Make sure that the spurs look about brand new, and not reduced in size. (A small spur is a sure sign of most of the goody has been sharpened out of the bits and long hard use.) Also, of the two or three Craftsman sets that looked virtually new, they sold for from a bit over $40 to maybe $55 or so, including shipping, some of the sets of Irwin bits in the same condition sold for 3 times as much as the Craftsman. I have absolutely no problem with the Craftsman Auger bits that I have used over the years, and think of the good makers made them for Craftsman. The ones I have used were high quality, and looked like they were made by Irwin or one of the other good makers. (I can't say that about some of the Craftsman power tools I have, and likely I will never buy another new Craftsman hand held power tool.)

2. Wait till you get a good deal. Don't get in a hurry and buy a moth eaten rusty set, because there are so many out there that sooner or later a set of good bits in virtually new condition will come along, and a couple of the Craftsman sets I looked at, which appeared to be in mint condition on that site had sold for around $45 including shipping.

3. Look at each bit in the set carefully, as much as you can, from the pictures. Some of the bits you see are clearly and obviously bent, if you look carefully.

4. If the photos don't show the business ends of the bits in detail, I would pass. I have seen some that the bodies looked great, virtually new, but if you looked at the business ends well, they had been put back in the box with wood still embedded in the screw and even in the tips, and it must have been oak in some of the ones I looked at or the wood was damp, because when looking at the fine detail carefully, threads on the screws were virtually completely gone due to corrosion, the spurs were almost completely corroded away, and in short they were actually virtually worthless to use, in spite of the fact that looking them in the pictures that showed the bits pointing away from the camera, the sets looked virtually brand new. (BUYER BEWARE, AND IN FACT IF I CAN'T SEE THE BUSINESS ENDS OF THE BITS IN FINE DETAIL, I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER BUYING THE SET. They are too commonly available, wait until a good set comes along that you can verify are good by a good set of photos.)

Other thoughts:

You mentioned wanting to use some of the auger bits in a drill. All of the vintage auger bits I have that are in original configuration have tapered shanks. The shank just below the square tapered end were bigger in diameter than further down the shank and the shank was thus tapered. One set I own has a few of the smaller auger bits modified to fit a drill chuck by the former carpenter owner. These have the chucked end of the shank ground down to give a straight shank that standard drill chucks can grab.

The straight hex shanks of some of the modern auger bits, are in fact designed for a 3/8" to 1/2" standard chuck drill, and the smaller size chucks can not grab the shank of the bit.

The adapter chuck that Mike shows above, at least the ones I have seen, including the one I have, will only take relatively small twist steel bits, the one I have will take only bits of 1/4" and smaller.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-20-2017 at 11:24 PM.