Thread: Shelf Brackets

Shelf Brackets

I am building a custom trailer that has an 11' counter top. The top is stainless with an ultra-light 3/4" MDF substrate. My problem is a span of about 5' and how to support it (the rest is on cabinet base units). I don't think the counter top is capable of supporting much weight over that span with the given materials. There is a specific need to hold a long portable storage unit under that spanned section so I cannot support it with a leg in the center and still slide that storage unit under.

I'm thinking I could support it with 1X4 across the back (plenty to attach to there) and "what" in front with legs on either side? 1X4, 1X6, 2X4? I just don't know how to figure strength of the counter top alone or size cross pieces while minimizing weight. I also don't know what kind of weight I should expect it to support. I wouldn't want anyone to sit on it but you never know. 200#?

Ideas? TIA.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Do you have the opportunity to make a torsion box top as that would alleviate the need for a middle support? Would probably need at least 2 inch of thickness though, preferably 3 inch

I have no idea what that is.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I used countertop support brackets for my basement bar which has a 16" overhang.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Putnam View Post
    I have no idea what that is.
    Here's a photo, Dennis. Obviously it would have a skin top and bottom. Easy to make and very rigid hence no need for center support

DIY-tosion-box-do-it-yourself-how-to-build-torsion-box.jpg

Hmm. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

How about a length of angle iron under the front of the table. 1 1/4 X 1 1/4" with each end embedded into the side cabinets about 2".