Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to gauge interest in some maple

Trying to gauge interest in some maple

I can't post this on the classified section yet because it's not yet for sale. I'm trying to determine if there is any interest or value in a warehouse full of maple wood. This was donated on a charity basis to a children's organization. The recipient has no idea what to do with most of it.

It is basically a warehouse full of plastic wrapped pallets of machined maple from a cabinet shop that closed. I looked it over and intend on helping them inventory. I didn't have time to estimate but I suspect there are well over 100 pallets. The wood they have little use for is mostly 4/4, some boards, much machined into what looks like rail and stile stock plus pallets of glued up and machined and sanded cabinet door panels, etc. I can imagine it would make great workbench tops, cutting boards, counter tops. Or 2 million pen blanks.

I don't do cabinets and don't even understand everything I saw. A real cabinet maker would probably know instantly. (Anyone in East TN willing to take a look?)

There are pallets of 2x2 stock that are useful as woodturning stock and we plan to sell some to local turners. The 4/4 is not useful to the charity organization.

Any value in this wood? They need the space and want to move the wood out of the building but I'd hate to make a 50 foot high bonfire. The charity could certainly benefit from selling some of it but I can almost guarantee it would be very cheap.

This is an organization that helps children. We (our local woodturning club) have been helping them get some programs started, providing tools and instruction.

Any advice on how to determine a reasonable value, if any, and find someone interested?

JKJ

As an ex small cabinet shop guy, I can say that the cabinet market has slim margins and I wonder if you could post ads where other cabinet shops will see a source for pre cut rail, stile and panel material at a price that they can shave some material plus labor cost off of. An attractive price would help move the stuff.
    David

Pictures and sizing would be helpful to try to determine what you have. Pre-milled stock for something like rail and stile are likely pretty small pieces right?

2x2 stock is good for table legs too.

The panel glue ups may have some hobby uses as you state.

Nothing sounds all that valuable unfortunately unless you can find a shop that has use for it.

Milled cabinet parts would be of little use to the average woodworker because the pieces are too small to do anything with unless you wanted to make some cabinets with the given profiles and sizes.

Trying to dispose it by retailing it piece-by-piece to individuals puts you in the retail business. That will take lots of time from you or other volunteers. The better course would be to put the time into selling the whole lot. You might not get top board-foot price, but it will take far less time. Try finding a cabinet shop, or finding a lumber supplier who sells to cabinet shops. Look beyond your local area; trucking isn't expensive for that much material.

I use a lot of maple and make small parts so I can definitely use some. Are they willing to ship it? If so then what I buy won't make much of a dent in the stock they have but if you can't sell it as a lot then I'm interested if they'll ship it. I'm in Florida.

If not then if it's significantly less expensive than retail I might be willing to drive up and buy all I can fit in my vehicle.

May be interested. Depending on length. Maybe some glue up table tops or cutting boards.

Shipping would likely be high to California for me.

Thanks. They may be willing to sell at 1% of the board foot value to get it out. Or just make some donation to the charity. They are not able to accommodate selling it piecewise in small quantities, partially due to the issues of dealing the staff and logistics of running a store.

Paul, I'll talk to them more about this and try to get back down there next week to do an inventory, take some measurements, and get some photos. If it is wood you can use it may be worth while to bring a truck or trailer big enough to haul some pallets. I picked up an armful of the 2x2 and it was beautiful, for the most part clear, some ambrosia, and all perfectly planed. A few random pieces were even figured. I didn't look closely at the 4x4 stock.

As soon as I get my wooden ducks in a row I'll make a post on the classified forum here.

JKJ

Sounds good. Thanks!

10. I'm in NE TN, would come down with the pickup for a load. Mostly interested in the 4/4 stuff. I'll be watching for your pic post.
    Thanks.

Shame you're so far away. I'd take a pallet of 4/4 if I was closer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

John, I'm trying to get an image of how much you're talking about. Do you have a board foot estimate ?

I'm in Charlotte NC and am about to embark on a full kitchen cabinet build and would definitely be interested in quite a bit of pre-milled rail and stile stock depending on the profile (doing shaker style cabinets). If it's as cheap as you're suggesting, it could really be worth the drive for me to come pickup a truck load.

I might call IRS auctions. They may be able to move it quickly and easily but it won't bring a lot of money.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    John, I'm trying to get an image of how much you're talking about. Do you have a board foot estimate ?
    Not yet. I don't even know the building size although I walked, rather, squeezed and climbed through it. I'm guessing it's at least 30' wide, maybe twice as long or more, full of pallets stacked two or three high. I've contacted the gentleman in charge about doing an inventory. I'm overbooked this week buy perhaps next.

JKJ