Thread: Breakfast table

Breakfast table

As some may know, I just set up a new shop in our new house and the wife isn't wasting any time putting me to work. I finished this breakfast table in record time... 3 weeks from start to finish.

Wood is poplar
    Stain is GF dye in pewter
    Topcoat is GF High performance in satin

This was my first time using a dye stain so I didn't know what to expect. I tested a 4' long board that was 8" wide and played around with it until I liked the color. Somehow, the table didn't turn out like I wanted. Luckily the wife was still happy with it, I on the other hand wanted to rebuild and use another stain color.

The pedestal was constructed from traditional M&T where the vertical post meets the top and bottom X base. The Festool domino for the diagonal cross braces (boy was that a pain in the rear end to align).

Everything received 1 coat of dye stain. Legs received 4 coats of topcoat and table top received 6 coats. Pedestal was stained using a foam brush, top was sprayed with a Fuji HVLP. Topcoat was sprayed using the HVLP for both the tabletop and pedestal.

Next project is built-ins for the family room, which is already underway. I'll share pictures of that on another thread once done. Enjoy, and as always, critique is always welcome.

Breakfast table 01.jpg Breakfast table 02.jpgBreakfast table 03.jpg

I like the color. Table looks good.
    Regards,

Kris

A good looking substantial table that will last for many years of hard use. Nice work!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

4. lovely.. what kind of chair did you pair for this?

Thanks everyone.

Mason, we don't have chairs for it yet. I'm still waiting on the wife to decide what she wants. It seems she can't make up her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Truelove View Post
    lovely.. what kind of chair did you pair for this?

Hoang, nicely done, sir. Appreciate the process photos. Patrick

I think the table looks very nice. The color will change slightly as the poplar "browns out" from UV so be patient...personally, I think it looks great now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Vey nicely done! I am sure the wife is happy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looks great Hoang,The part I like the most is you used inexpensive wood look very appealing and made looks like it belongs right where it sits.Nice!
    Aj

I have a really hard time adding stain to poplar and getting it to not turn out blotchy. Great job!