Thread: Cutting Vinyl Sheets

Cutting Vinyl Sheets

I am new to laser engraving and cutting. Been slowly learning as I go. Things are going pretty well so far. I do know my engraver is capable of a lot more than I understand yet but am enjoying the learning process. I have a quick question.

I know one is not supposed to engrave or cut PVC. I am wondering if it is OK to cut the self adhesive vinyl sheets. You know, the type one would use to cut out the cute sayings, words, pictures, etc. that would be stuck to the wall.

The package says that it is vinyl but I am not sure if it is PVC or not. OK, or should I not risk it? Thanks.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

I have read that some vinyl contains PVC and some doesn't. Not sure how to tell the difference. Maybe call the mfg of your s and ask them. Or maybe you can find a MSDS on it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That vinyl is not safe, no.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You can use the flame test. heat a copper wire till it glows then use that to scrap some of the vinyl put it in a flame from a torch and see what color it burns if it is green it has chlorine and is not safe

Most likely it is not safe. If you go with a supplier that works with engravers, they will be able to tell you if they have vinyl/plastic sheets that are laserable and which ones they are. Johnson plastics, JDS, Stahls, etc.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I have read that some vinyl contains PVC and some doesn't. Not sure how to tell the difference. Maybe call the mfg of your s and ask them. Or maybe you can find a MSDS on it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_group

No such thing as vinyl that doesn't contain pvc - vinyl IS pvc

Some one should let all those Glowforge customers know. Seen some post about all the stuff they want to cut but then again they have to have a laser to do that

just because I checked

Vinyl (#3 recycling code) is commonly used as a nickname for polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
    It can generally be assumed that a product is made with PVC when the term “vinyl” is used to describe it.
    This is a red flag so before buying, the product should be investigated further.

The Healthy Building Network offers an extremely informative article on PVC. They explain that in chemistry, the term “vinyl” actually has a broader meaning, encompassing a range of different thermoplastic chemical compounds. In addition to PVC, “vinyls” may also include:
    Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), Polyethylene Vinyl Acetate (PEVA) a copolymer of polyethylene and EVA. You'll often find EVA and PEVA used safely in baby teethers, waterproof bibs, reusable food storage bags, shower curtains, shock absorber in tennis shoes, padding in some shoes (like Crocs) and equipment for various sports such as ski boots, and even biomedical engineering applications as a drug delivery device used within the body.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_group

No such thing as vinyl that doesn't contain pvc - vinyl IS pvc

This is correct for the most part I believe. The only caveat is that a lot of companies brand things as "vinyl" letters, or sheets, or covering, etc when it isn't actually true vinyl. So, you can occasionally find things marked as vinyl that are laser-able.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

A couple of years ago i heard 3M had a vinyl that was laser friendly but i can't find where i put the info
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Quote Originally Posted by vic casware View Post
    A couple of years ago i heard 3M had a vinyl that was laser friendly but i can't find where i put the info

Sort of. It's not called "Vinyl", it's called a "Film". It's their IJ-480 product and it's called a "Wrap Film". I've used it and it's definitely not vinyl. It's some eco friendly product. I cut some with the laser once and it browned the edges quite badly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    This is correct for the most part I believe. The only caveat is that a lot of companies brand things as "vinyl" letters, or sheets, or covering, etc when it isn't actually true vinyl. So, you can occasionally find things marked as vinyl that are laser-able.
    They call it Vinyl just like people call tissues Kleenex and cotton tip swabs Q-tips. That doesn't mean that "some" vinyl doesn't contain PVC, it just means that what some people call vinyl, isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    You can use the flame test. heat a copper wire till it glows then use that to scrap some of the vinyl put it in a flame from a torch and see what color it burns if it is green it has chlorine and is not safe

This. It's an easy test and it gives you 100% certainty.
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

The copper wire test is amazing. I tested this way with PVC, got green flame. Tested my EVA laminate, and got no green at all. There are suppliers that sell EVA foam for packaging and promote laser cutting with it, so EVA is ok, as far as I know.

This is an example of a laser cut EVA laminate:

3MLogo-Reflections.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.