Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY blade sharpening?

Blog Entries

DIY blade sharpening?

I ran across a YouTube (actually several) of folks using the HF saw blade sharpener on carbide blades. http://www.harborfreight.com/120-vol...ner-96687.html Has anyone here have any experience with it? Looks like it just grinds the face and couldn't be used for any triple chip grinds. Probably wouldn't want to use it on your $100 blades either. Interesting it comes with a diamond blade for the rough cut and an emery blade for the polish. For under $50 it would pay for itself on 2 or 3 blade sharpenings. Cutting a lot of aluminum oxide finished flooring really dulls them fast and they are not real critical cuts nor something I use my good blades on. I have a number of older blades laying around that I wouldn't pay to resharpen, but might get some use if they were sharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCzv7jHz7A This one has some good closeups of the tooth getting sharpened.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hanAzC2SRAI This one has some tricks for pimping the rig to make it more stable.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-20-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I've seen some reviews on that blade sharpener. Based on what I saw I decided it's not something I would buy. I have a diamond rim blade and saw some good shop-made designs for sharpening blades with it. Haven't gotten around to building anything yet. I'll send my most expensive blades to pros and maybe try sharpening cheaper blades myself to see if it's something I can pull off effectively and the time spent offsets the money spent on professional sharpening.

Some folks might get some use out of it, but I don't see any value in it for me. There's no way I'm sharpening my good blades on that thing, and crappy cheap blades aren't worth messing with IMO. The money spent on the sharpener could be spent on a decent new blade.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've never used one and it doesn't have any reviews, but I would say go for it. As you said, you aren't going to using it on your expensive ones.
    Since you are using cheap blades to cut material that dulls them quickly, the sharpener could pay for itself by sharpening only a couple of blades.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Some folks might get some use out of it, but I don't see any value in it for me. There's no way I'm sharpening my good blades on that thing, and crappy cheap blades aren't worth messing with IMO. The money spent on the sharpener could be spent on a decent new blade.
    Where can you get a decent new blade for under $50?

My other issue, besides I can count 5 of my non-critical blades that could use sharpening, is that my local shop only does a pickup once a week on Mondays. So if I decide I need a blade sharpened on Monday evening, it will be 2 weeks before I get it back, plus it is an hour round trip to the store. I can always sub my good combo blade for my good rip or crosscut blade, but that is not always the best solution. I don't keep a spare prime set of blades, "just in case".
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-20-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post

+100

These are what sharpen blades correctly:

sawgrinders.jpg

vollmerchd270nd230.jpg

u10.jpg
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-20-2017 at 6:12 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Oshlun blades. It's no Forrest WWII, but they do have a 10" 50 tooth combo blade for $35 on Amazon.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post

LOL... I could make a list!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    There are a number of Freud blades that sell for less than $50 on amazon including the LU82M010 which is an excellent crosscut blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My other issue, besides I can count 5 of my non-critical blades that could use sharpening, is that my local shop only does a pickup once a week on Mondays. So if I decide I need a blade sharpened on Monday evening, it will be 2 weeks before I get it back, plus it is an hour round trip to the store. I can always sub my good combo blade for my good rip or crosscut blade, but that is not always the best solution. I don't keep a spare prime set of blades, "just in case".
    Put them in a flat rate box and ship them to Dynamic Saw. I can't see spending a couple hours driving to get blades sharpened. The blade Scott shows is what resides on my TS, unless I'm cutting sheet goods. Own more than one. Check with Cripe Distributing for the Delta 7657. About $20 plus shipping, and two ship for almost the same as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Put them in a flat rate box and ship them to Dynamic Saw.
    I cut a piece of scrap ply/MDF to fit a medium flat rate box and bolt my blades to it to avoid damage in shipping.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I saw one of these sharpeners in a pawn shop in Savannah last week. It was in NEW condition, as in NEVER used. I don't remember the price as I wasn't interested. I send out my $20 blades, (7657 - $18 when I bought them,) because when it comes back it cuts as good as my WWII. For your needs, will a 7 1/4 blade do what you need. If so try the Freud demo blade. We use it to cut Hardie Plank siding.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I can't comment on the HF blade sharpener but I have a warning concerning DIY sharpening of carbide tipped blades, router bits, shaper cutters ..., this stuff (the microscopically fine dust) is nasty and can mess up your lungs in a hurry.

I get excellent results out of a local sharpening service, $13 for an average 10 inch blade. Not worth my time or the risk of messing up a blade to try sharpening them myself.

You might try making sure that your blades are clean before you re sharpen them, but use chemicals designed for carbide tipped blades.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    I can't comment on the HF blade sharpener but I have a warning concerning DIY sharpening of carbide tipped blades, router bits, shaper cutters ..., this stuff (the microscopically fine dust) is nasty and can mess up your lungs in a hurry.
    That is a good point, I will touch up the faces of router/shaper cutters with a diamond stone but do it outside, preferably when there is a decent breeze and rinse the diamond stone off outside the shop as well. While I doubt the level of carbide dust I produce would be harmful it is easy to be safe(r).