Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY blade sharpening?

1. I could easily see the utility of being able to sharpen your own blades if you utilize a lot of reclaimed or "dirty" lumber. Also, I didn't see if it could, but being able to sharpen 7-1/4" circular saw blades would give that tool a bit more utility. Doing remodeling work, you could easily burn through $50 worth of 7-1/4" blades doing demolition work. Stuff like cutting asphalt roofing, or just hitting nails, rocks and grit can ruin even a brand new blade. Assuming you don't actually knock teeth off your blade with what you hit, it could be used to restore it back to service a few times.

I have a couple dulled Avanti Pro 10" 60T crosscut blades sitting around, I bought them at home depot on a sale, it was two blades for $24.99 or $29.99 or something. Doesn't quite make sense to have them sharpened (because of the teeth count) but I didn't really want to just toss them either.

Blog Entries
    When the big boys sharpen a blade, do they take something off all sides of the carbide or do they just clean the teeth and only grind the front? If they hit the sides the saw kerf would get narrower with each sharpening.

I have trouble tossing a blade that has plenty of carbide just because it doesn't seem worthwhile paying to have an inexpensive blade sharpened. At least 10 and 12" blades, not so attached to under $10 7-1/4" blades.

I just looked at the Forest Factory Carbide sharpening service. With return shipping, a 10" 60 tooth blade with no issues will cost $24 for sharpening plus $12 return shipping, totaling $36. Add your shipping cost to them and you are looking at close to $50. What color Kool Aide is that? And it looks like they charge extra to grind the sides of the teeth, so I guess that answers my first question.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-22-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    NOW you tell me...